New starter issues - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

New starter issues

I just put in a new starter (powerhouse) 153 flexplate. Without any shims, starter starts great then wines while running. One shim, starts great but grinds while running. Seams like gear in starter is not going back in all the way. I havent let it run long enough to jump out and look under car to confirm that though. Any ideas or suggestions? 350 sb automatic straight bolt pattern starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: New starter issues

it does sound like the starter is too close to the flexplate, and is not returning, rather binding and sticking.

It's real hard to access those gears to check clearance with the trans in place, but one thing not so hard to do would be to remove the solenoid off the starter and work the bendix by hard to check the alignment.

Is it's like a stock starter, it's just a couple screws and a tiwst to get it off.

Be sure to disconnect the neg battery cable before messing around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Solenoid is build on. It doesn't come off. (one of those mini starters)
I shimed it some more. Still starts great, but doesnt go back all the way in. I diid jump out check it with it running. Saw sparks. (teeth are all ok still on both starter and flex) I tested the power at the solenoid start terminal. When you let go of the key it loses power as it should. Is there any chance there are electrical issues with the inside of the solenoid. (Brand New by the way) or is it still a shimming issue? I'll try anything (Even a sledge hammmer on it, if would help )

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 01:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the only way to know would be to observe or measure the gear clearance.

The only way I've ever measured it is with the trans off and the solenoid off, pull the bendix drive out by hand and measure the clearance between the gears, a paper clip should just fit between the engaged gear teeth.

I've also done it with everything together, just by working the bendix with the solenoid off and "feeling" the gear engagement.

The solenoid won't come off that thing?

Is there a way to disconnect the power lead from the starter to the solenoid like you can with the stock starter, then you could engage it with the key without the motor spinning and perhaps see what's happening better?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 01:52 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

There should be .030 clearance at the teeth (point of one to between other if you get what I'm tring to say) I used a large paperclip and screwdriver to check gap. Its had to do but needs to be checked.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Do you have the starter wired correctly? I think if one of the starter wires are on the wrong terminal the starter will stay engaged even with the key on the "run" position. Just thought Id mention since you did, im assuming convert from standard starter and the connections are a little different. 1 less wire on the mini I believe.

Most recent 01/01/10

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 08:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, spidy might be on to something. What wires are on your starter? Those mini starters only have 1 small terminal, for purple wire only. If you have a yellow wire, it should NOT be connected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode