Dead lifter??? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Josh

Dead lifter???

My small block with hyd cam (several years since rebiuld ~25.000 miles) started ticking rather loudly. I pulled the valve cover and found the #6 exhaust rocker too loose. I pulled the rocker and push rod and it looks good. I re-assembled and was resetting lash with the engine running. AS the slack was taken up in the rocker, the tapping would go away for about 3 seconds then come back. I would tighten more and the same thing. I did this a few times then figured the lifter was not staying pumped up. I loosed it up until the push rod was spinning again and left it there. I re-lashed the whole bank and that seems fine other than 2 other push rods not spinning.
1) Replace all the lifters?
2) How much can I drive this without hurting something. This is my daily driver Impala.
Thanks.

J Early
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Dead lifter???

I've done this before. Adjust the lifter until all the slack is gone, then adjust as a solid lifter, 0.008-0.012 inches hot. Drive the car. This will get you back on the road and buy some time.

Later, you should at least exchange the lifter for a new one. Some people replace all of them because of the reasoning, if one goes, when will another lifter go bad?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Are you sure the rocker stud is not pulling out of the head?

ERIC
67 Convertible, 350CID, TKO600RR, 3.73 Eaton Posi

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech
John

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!

Last edited by Johnny B; Jul 20th, 06 at 02:28 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 06, 12:50 PM
Tech Team
Don

Send a message via MSN to donbe Send a message via Skype™ to donbe

Check out this thread. It may be a flat lobe on the camshaft.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...04&postcount=7

'67 RS SS396 - Restoration in progress
'68 6 cyl Coupe Restored
'68 Convertible - Wild Project Car - TT AWD
'00 Race Car - Project Drag car
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 06, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Josh

I do not think the stud was pulling out since I could tighten the rocker and the tapping would go away for a few seconds then come right back, like the lifter could not stay pumped up. With the eye I can see good movement of the rocker but I could put a dial indicator on it to measure lobe lift. I still think with the lifter not staying pumped up as I tighten the nut likely means the lifter is the culprit and the spring, rocker stud and cam lobe could be ruled out. But that is my shade tree mechanic thought! Please let me know if this sounds right since I plan on digging into this tonight (replacing all lifters). Thanks.

J Early
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 06, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Close analysis - compare suspected stud height with neighboring studs if stud movement is suspect.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 06, 07:25 AM

Check cam lobe when apart and oil for ground metal.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Josh

Changed all lifters and the engine sounds good now, more quiete than ever. The one lifter was dished a bit. The rocker on that lifter still moves well but I have a feeling it is less than it should be ( a little worn). Anyway, My problem now is that my gas milage is HORRIBLE. I replaced the carb a few months ago and tuned it well and was getting 15 MPG. Now I dout I am getting 10MPG. I did not touch the carb..did not even unbolt it from the intake. I lashed the engine cold and it is nice and quiete like I said. I have the initial timing set just short of where it will chatter (about 12 degrees BTDC). The idle is smooth but seems a touch lower than it was before. Any ideas??
I thought a vacum leak would cause an variable idle speed?

J Early
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390
I've done this before. Adjust the lifter until all the slack is gone, then adjust as a solid lifter, 0.008-0.012 inches hot. Drive the car. This will get you back on the road and buy some time.

Later, you should at least exchange the lifter for a new one. Some people replace all of them because of the reasoning, if one goes, when will another lifter go bad?

Speaking of solid lifters, I checked mine cold. They were all about .024. Is that good or bad?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J early
The idle is smooth but seems a touch lower than it was before. Any ideas?? I thought a vacum leak would cause an variable idle speed?
Have you used a vacuum gauge to adjust tyhe mixture screws on the carb? They may be alittle rich, screwed out too far.

A vacuum leak will show up as a lower numerical steady value.

'
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Josh

I used a vacume gauge to tune it a couple months ago. Is there any reason why i should have to do this again?
I would have to guess that since my idle is a little lower that the vacume is a little lower.
Will a vacum leak effect gas milage that bad?

J Early
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 01:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Lifters don't dish for nothing. You are buying time...Select your new cam and lifters ahead of time.. Before you said the lifter was dished I was gonna recommend to pull that lifter and open it up and clean it out. Sometimes the orfice and piddle valve become clogged and they can't take on oil or keep it pressured. But you found your problem.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Josh

zdid,
I know you are right, and I am buyng some time. Hopefully more than less. This car is going to get torn down eventually and I would love to last a few thousand mles but I dout I will get that lucky.

As fas as gas milage.. I sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake seams with no change in idle.
When putting the distributor back in I did get off a tooth or two and I had one hell of a backfire when I hit the key. The Holley avenger has power valve blow out protection but I wonder how foolproof this is? A blown PV would accout for crappy gas milage, right? I will start a new thread since this is realy a new topic, thanks again.

J Early
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode