No ignition, new steering column HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 06, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

No ignition, new steering column HELP!

I bought a tilt column for my 1969 Camaro and installed it. It was totally rebuilt and had new ignition and turnsignal harness installed. All I had to do is remove ignition key from old column and put it in the new column. I also had to remove the switch at the bottom of the old column and re-install it as well (I believe it is the back-up/reverse switch?) Not really sure. My car is a console shift column.
I thought maybe the bottom switch on the column was a neutral safety switch or backup switch....can't really tell...book doesn't say too much about it....
Anyhow, I pushed car out of garage because she's a real loud beast, hopped it to fire her up and nothing. I do have wipers, just won't turn over.
Took off ignition switch from column and tried plugging in old switch and move switch with screw driver to get it to make contact, nothing....anyone else have a problem like this before....I am stumped...
My brother-in-law noticed a black plug with 2 wires, one yellow and one black hanging near firewall. Not sure if they go to stock radio or what. Yellow wire looked pinched and frayed. Taped it up and unsure of where it's suppose to go.
Car is only 3 months old to me and I'm not sure of her past....If she was a Chrysler, she would be called Christine...Thanks for your time in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 06, 11:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: No ignition, new steering column HELP!

It would really help if you can to post some pics of the sw your talking about on the column. Did the car have any starting issues before the column swap?
Take a look at your fuse panel. Possibly took something out during install.
On the switch on the bottom of column, does it have 2 purple wires going to it. If it does than this is your neutral sw. You can short the 2 wires together to see if the sw may have gone bad or broke. You will not get anything if this sw is not made.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt

Last edited by madmax87; Jul 31st, 06 at 12:13 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

going to try and get pics of switch tomorrow and post. No starting issues before column swap at all. I will look at fuse panel tomorrow and see if anything is missing or hanging suspiciously. I also will take a picture of the mysterious yellow and black connector that is just hanging there.
Thanks again

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

when you swapped the ignition switch did you make sure the metal rod was in the notch and moving the slider inside the switch correctly? i'm not talking about the key tumbler i'm talking about the large white plastic ignition switch that sits on top of the column right behind the gauge cluster with a bunch of wires. there's a rod that hooks into it and has to move the innards to make it start.

the switch at the bottom of the column should be the reverse lights.

the black and yellow conector is probably the stock radio plug.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 06, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

yes the rod was in the ignition switch. I also pulled the rod and used a screwdriver to move the switch on both old switch and new switch. Nothing at all.
I thought the switch on the bottom was the reverse lights/backup switch.
Any other suggestions on why I don't have any fire?
Turnsignals and brake lights work. Headlights look to be bright. I had just previously used the battery in my old Blazer to try and get it running again. I drained the battery down trying to start it and I put it on charge for 4 hours (10 amp slow charge).
Could I have possibly blown a fuse or something?
My brother-in-law is stumped. We took a 5 day break away from "Christy" because of all the crap.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 06, 06:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Yes, take a look at your fuse box. Did you have the battery disconnected when you installed the new column? If all fuses check fine, check for spark at the coil. If not there, then check for 12V with key on at the + side of coil.

Dennis
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 06, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

It is not that the car won't start, it won't even turn over. The ignition lock switch appears to be functioning properly. It is moving the rod in the ignition switch on the column. When you turn on the key, its like the battery is completely dead, but I do have headlights, turnsignals and hazards.
I'm going to try another battery, just in case its something stupid like I maybe charged the battery too long, but its doubtful.
I will do the coil test as well..
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas....Finally got it....This Camaro must originally was a column shift,bench seat 6cyl....The neutral safety switch was on the bottom of the column, not under the console shifter...Apparently the column when we put it in, was not in the park position? and caused the switch on the bottom of the column not to allow it to start.

Thanks again to everyone..I guess I'm going to have a handful with this car as the previous owners just loved to cobble this car...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 06, 10:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Thumbs up Re: No ignition, new steering column HELP!

Now you can call her Christy, not Christine.

Dennis
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Yeah, I'm sure the Chrysler guys/gals might take offense to me taking a trademark name like that....Christy the Camaro, kinda sounds like Krusty the Klown...(The Simpsons)
Rat-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode