Front end of car sitting way too high - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 06, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Front end of car sitting way too high

I am having more issues with the 1969 Camaro I am working on. I bought new front springs and installed them with Energy suspension Polyurethane bushings when I put on my 4 wheel disc brake kit.
I have 215/55/16 Torque Thrust II rims and tires on it. It looks like I put AIR SHOCKS on the front of it. I mean the top of the tire to the fender well has about 4-5" of clearance.
I ordered V-8 small block,non-air conditoning springs. They were the same height and looked to be the same thickness as the old springs. Has anyone else had this problem when replacing springs?
I think I'm going to have to either put the old springs back in, and they seemed to set the car a little high as well or I'm going to have to cut a coil or two out just to get it to look right with the 16 inch rims...
Any suggestions? Thanks for your time in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Front end of car sitting way too high

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikeharley
Has anyone else had this problem when replacing springs?
Rat -

I think most of us have had this problem. I don't think we've ever decided if the replacement springs are different, or if these cars just sat higher, front and rear, than we all remember. I put new "replacement" springs in my 68, and it sat like an old gasser. Not cool drviing down the road, seeing nothing but hood...

First, did you make sure the springs are properly seated up top? There's a small hole drilled in the top of the SF spring pocket; make sure you can see the end of the spring through that hole.

Second, did you tighten the bolts for the lower contol arms with the car on the ground and all the weight on them? You can get a surprising amount of bind if you tighten them while the car is in the air.

Third, have you moved or driven the car? These cars also "stick" to the floor a bit when lowered, and it takes some bouncing or driving to settle things down.

Now, if the answer to all the above is "yes", and it still sits high (and it may, no doubt about it), then you'll need to look at doing something else like cutting a coil. There's plenty of info here if you search "cut coil". Another choice would be a moderate aftermarket "lowering" spring, like the Eibachs. That's what I ended up with in the 68.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 04:03 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

Rat,

I experienced what Eric is referring to as far as the springs not being seated. My car sat like a 4x4 truck. I did not realize that my springs were even out of the pocket until I rounded a corner, the side lifted up and BANG!!!!, it seated itself. I measured it at home and it had dropped .75".

Also, what springs did you use? If you search the posts you will see what different people have used to get the ride height they want.

FWIW, my '68 has Moog 6308's (see my signature for a pic) and one of our TC folks used a slighty higher Moog for his '69 and was happy with the height (I think it was Moog 6312 but you'll have to search the posts for it).

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yeah, big variety in springs. Maybe you got a SB and the guy sold you BB springs by mistake. Good suggestions already stated (by Eric K above) for checking. If not one of those things, then you can either cut the springs a little, or just go get new ones. If you buy new ones, make sure to talk with someone who really knows their springs................

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Take two jack stands and put under the front bumper left and right side. Adjust to the height you want the front to be lowered then heat bottom two spring coils with torch till it drops on both sides onto the jack stands and let them air cool for an hour so they want change. That's how i did my 1969 camaro and it worked great. Be sure to have jack stands on level hard surface.

(LARRY)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech

Rat -

Hopefully you know that heating the springs, and thereby destroying the temper of the steel, is NOT the right way to do this....

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I put Moog springs on mine too. With the Energy suspension bushings and bump stops and competition engineering adjustable shocks.
The car rode WAY too low before hand and I kept nicking the oil pan on anything in the road that wasn't the road. Plus, I was getting ZERO weight transfer on launches and it would just smoke the tires.
After I did the springs and shocks, it sat just like yours only mine was uneven!!
After some driving, it lowered itself but its still high. For lack of knowledge as to why it is uneven by 3 or 4 inches, I just put some spring blocks in. Now its within a 1/2 inch.
I checked all that the guys here told you to check and can't find a reason why its uneven. I'm left to believe its a unibody/frame issue or the rear leafs.
Anyway, they did settle, although it does ride high. It doesn't look quite like the old gasser's but since I don't have inner fender wells, anyone next to me on the road can look in and see my headers there.
I've actually gotten to like it now.
Its different.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer
Rat -

Hopefully you know that heating the springs, and thereby destroying the temper of the steel, is NOT the right way to do this....
Once the springs air cool for an hour or to they will return to normal temper had no problem with my camaro springs.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode