need help with ignition lock switch cylinder removal - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 06, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

need help with ignition lock switch cylinder removal

hi, im have trouble removing my ignition lock switch cylinder(the cylinder that you put the key into to start your engine) in my 69 camaro. i already broke thru the flashing where you slide something down to release the pin, i push on the pin and it starts to slide out but it gets to a point and stops. my question is, do you need the key to get it out. and if you do, thats a big problem because i dont have a key for it. what do you do to get it out?? is there more than 1 pin to press? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks robert.

69 Camaro Z/28 Rally Sport 10A of 68. 50 S with 723 int. .040 over 302 with m22 autogear wide ratio. BU 12 bolt posi.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 06, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
John

Re: need help with ignition lock switch cylinder removal

Does this help?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...=lock+cylinder
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 06, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech

Sometimes people have pushed and hammered in the wrong area of the lock housing and deformed it in an attempt to find and depress the lock cylinder locking wedge. This might cause the lock cylinder to hang-up as you try to remove it. So if you are sure that the locking wedge is depressed, you will just have to work the cylinder out of the housing. You might have to replace the cylinder if you break the "wings" while making the attempts to remove it.

JIML82

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 06, 10:33 PM
Nick

Last one i pulled i had to slide the cylinder in an out a few times to free it up. Also make sure the flashing you punched out is the one on the left hand side some times there are two the wrong hole will still kind of feel like the wedge is being released good luck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Pulled mine out two weeks ago. Had some difficulty doing it as well. I used a small flat blade screwdriver pushing it down and turning the lock cylinder as well. Since you don't have a key, you will just have to move it as much as you can and pull the lock cylinder at the same time.
Another way (which I hear is not really recommended), is to use a slide hammer and pull it out that way.
Make sure you are pushing it in all the way. It helps if you have great light and can see what you are doing.
Do you have the column out of the car or is it still in the car.
Good luck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

thanks guys, finally got it out last nite, it was a real pain. i finally drilled the key assembly to get it out. came out but i went a liitle to far and killed the gear thats behind the key cylinder. oh well, ive already ordered the gear through yearone. thanks again for your help. robert

69 Camaro Z/28 Rally Sport 10A of 68. 50 S with 723 int. .040 over 302 with m22 autogear wide ratio. BU 12 bolt posi.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode