Best set up to get engine to start...... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

Best set up to get engine to start......

When I start my engine cold it starts with a reasonable amount of cranking. After the engine is at temp and I try to start after 30 or more minutes it is difficult to get started. It turns over without any problem it just take a while to start and then it runs fine. I have a hei set up 10*advanced initial. Carb is set up a little lean. Any suggestions?

68 convertible, Grotto blue, 327 TH350,3.08 diff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Re: Best set up to get engine to start......

What carb are you running?

ERIC
67 Convertible, 350CID, TKO600RR, 3.73 Eaton Posi
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech

Needs to be moved to a tech section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<TR>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

When car is cold, step on the pedal a couple of times. This causes the choke plate to close and an extra gas shot. Engines need extra fuel to start when cold.

When engine is hot, the fuel has probably evaporated from the carb, regardless what brand you have. The reason for the long crank is the mechanical fuel has to fill the fuel bowl back up. Then fuel can be pulled into the intake. You might even try a 1/2 pedal stroke to fuel some from the accelerator pump.

You might even try a different brand of gas. If not your daily driver, it may have a winter blend/recipe.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 12:32 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket
When I start my engine cold it starts with a reasonable amount of cranking. After the engine is at temp and I try to start after 30 or more minutes it is difficult to get started. It turns over without any problem it just take a while to start and then it runs fine. I have a hei set up 10*advanced initial. Carb is set up a little lean. Any suggestions?
Weak spark will effect cold or warm starting. Could be coil, plug wires, plugs and plug gap, cap or rotor. Lack of fuel as already suggested will also cause starting problem. Check your squirters, watch them and move the throttle. If they squirt you have fuel in the bowl(s) and I would say fuel isn't the problem. Make this check before starting the initial time and do it again when hot to proove it out under both conditions.

Also as already suggested, we are use to not touching the gas on our modern computer controled fuel injected cars when starting them. Old cars need a 2 pump in the morning, if they have a choke this sets it and gives a squirt of fuel too. When warm my cars don't need the extra pumps but I have seen many that still need a pump or two... The caution here is learn when you have flooded the engine as then you need to put the pedal on the floorboard until it starts..

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Sounds like your carb float level may be too high. You may want to check it.

Mark
'69 Yellow/Black Houndstooth RS/SS, 4 bolt Crate 350/325hp, TKO600 5 spd, A/C, P/S, PDB, Tilt, 12 Bolt Posi 4.10 Gears, Console&Gauges, Rosewood, Cruisin with XM on 70's

'70 Chevelle w/SS add-ons, 350, 700r4

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

Carb is a Q-jet. I think I may need some practice at finding the right "touch" to start get it started quickly.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Here's my suggestion; but only if you have electric choke........

I had this problem on a couple of different cars. One had Holley carb and the other one was a Q-Jet; both carbs had electric chokes. Finally I figured it out. The electric choke spring cools down much quicker than the engine. So, the engine gets up to running temp, then you park for a few minutes and when you come out, the engine is still hot, however, the choke will activate.

Now let's say you want to start this hot engine, that's been sitting for, say, 10 or 20 minutes. When you go to start the electric choke comes on (even though no choke is needed), causing over-rich starting condition and hard starting.

So, I ended up leaning the chokes out quite a bit and that solved my problems.............

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 06:54 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket
Carb is a Q-jet. I think I may need some practice at finding the right "touch" to start get it started quickly.
No you don't need "the right touch"... You need a tune-up...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chester

DJD,
I have less than 500 mi on the current plugs, wires, dist, carb, etc. Carb is new and dist is hei. What would you suggest I change? I have found that it starts quicker when I depress the pedal about 1/2 way down when cranking.
Chevy-SS,
The carb does have an electric choke. I have noticed that when It has trouble starting the idle is low initially and then will smooth out after revving the engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode