Need help with 94 LT1 - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

94 Camaro running really rough, any help?

Hello, I am new so thanks in advance for any assistance... My name is Lisa. I have a 94 Camaro Z28(LT1) and it was running great when I bought it and two weeks went by and it started running really rough. The car has 114,000 miles give or take 100. I had the transmission serviced and it is great, no problems. My question is this: What would make the car hesitate and get no pick up? It barely gets out of its own way! This happens usually once the car has warmed up. Also, while driving I lose power on hills, if I have to slow down and pick back up, etc... I have put new plugs in, checked for air leaks, replaced the mass air sensor, and checked for vaccum leaks. It ran so hard the last time I drove it that it overheated. Also, I have gone from about getting 220 miles per tank to 100 miles per tank. I don't know what else to look at, I am not mechanically talanted and my poor husband is tired of replacing parts and it not helping matters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Question Need help with 94 LT1

Hello, I am new so thanks in advance for any assistance.. I have a 94 Camaro Z28(LT1) and it was running great when I bought it and two weeks went by and it started running really rough. The car has 114,000 miles give or take 100. I had the transmission serviced and it is great, no problems. My question is this: What would make the car hesitate and get no pick up? It barely gets out of its own way! If in park and you give it gas the same happens, it is so sluggish. Also, while driving I lose power on hills, if I have to slow down and pick back up, etc... I have put new plugs in, checked for air leaks, replaced the mass air sensor, and checked for vaccum leaks. It ran so hard the last time I drove it that it overheated. Also, I have gone from about getting 220 miles per tank to 100 miles per tank. I don't know what else to look at, don't know much about cars. Any Ideas what this could possibly be?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 04:42 PM
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
David

Re: Need help with 94 LT1

O2 sensors are going out is my bet. This causes the computer to dump too much (or too little) fuel into the cylinders and the car gets bogged down. This also explains your horrible gas mileage.

Hope this helps,
DAvid

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 06:17 PM
Tech Team

Smile Re: Need help with 94 LT1

Sounds like she is running very lean. It could be a O/2 sensor fault, do you have a scan tool or know someone with one??? The next thing I would check is the fuel filter and can you check fuel pressure and volume??? You can get one tank of bad gas and clog a new filter rock solid. One other thing you might check, a plugged up converter or one that has blown its contents back into the muffler[s}. I cant say for sure which years but some factory exhaust systems GM used had a dual wall inside. Years ago working for chevrolet I saw several vehicles with this problem. I dont think your car has this, but I wanted to throw this in. I would start with the fuel filter if you do not have any test gear. I get all makes towed into my repair shop with plugged up fuel filters, the old saying goes, out of sight, out of mind!! Most just dont want to get under the car to change it, and very few cars have them under the hood today. Good luck!!!
Tru-Blue DZ-302
1967 Camaro SS, 350, factory A/C, owned over 31 years!
1969 Z-28, matching #s, 51/51 M22, 3:73 posi
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 07:12 PM
Tech Team

Smile Re: Need help with 94 LT1

I forgot a couple more things, was painting today and got too much fumes! If you can check fuel pressure and its low, providing the fuel filter is not clogged it could be the in tank pump asembly. These are not to bad to do in the air but when I am doing one up on the lift and look over in the other side of the shop and see one of my two babies sitting there with the good old and efficient mechanical pumps on the engine block, I wish for the good old days. You would never have thought of putting a pump in the gas tank 30 years ago. One other thing that just popped up, check the pressure regulator on the rail. You can remove the vacum hose going to it and if you get fuel coming out you have a bad regulator. This could be putting raw fuel into the intake and the O/2 sensors are going full lean to get the mix closer to stoke, or 14.7/1, where the computer likes to see the ratio at. Hope this is not confusing, there is just lots of things that could be causing this fault you have, some I have not even mentioned. A scan tool would really help if you can find one or pay someone to look at some of the basics. Good luck!!
Tru-Blue DZ-302
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 08:16 PM

When o2 fails the default is rich. Causing too much fuel and a loss in mileage.
Not enough gas in the tank (mine does it between 1/4 and 1/8) it will run rough.

Also, the optispark could be the problem. It will cause missfire and run rough. Check each spark plug wire to see if there is a missfire. Do this with a timing light. Put the inductor over the wire and pull the timing light trigger. IF it blinks consistantly, then that plug is probably not missfiring. IF it doesn't blink or blinks inconsistantly, then the opti spark could be the cause. Do that for each cylinder.
Good luck.

RATCHETMASTER
1968 RS SS Camaro
1969 OLDS 442 VERT.
1973 RS LT Z28 Camaro
1972 454 Elcamino
1999 Firebird T/A WS-6
1995 Chevy Caprice LT1
2002 GMC SIERRA SLT Z71
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 08:36 PM
Tech Team
Chuck

is a 94 obd2? if so, you may want to take look at your MAF sensor, Make sure the wires tht run across the middle are clean, especially if you have put in a oiled air filter.

67 Camaro SS, 350/325 HP
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 09:13 PM

94 is obd1. 96 changed to obd2.

RATCHETMASTER
1968 RS SS Camaro
1969 OLDS 442 VERT.
1973 RS LT Z28 Camaro
1972 454 Elcamino
1999 Firebird T/A WS-6
1995 Chevy Caprice LT1
2002 GMC SIERRA SLT Z71
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks to all of you for your insite... I will surely try these recommendations and see if it resolves the issue. Since you all seem to be on the same track with what could be wrong, then chances are my car will be back on the road soon. Hopefully I can get this stuff done this week coming and let you all know the outcome... Have a super day and again thanks!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Re: 94 Camaro running really rough, any help?

When was the last time the cat's were replaced? They may be plugged up. If you let them get too hot, they can burn a piston. If they are the stock ones, I would replace them simply because they are 12 years old. Your optispark may be causing problems as well.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Cat. converter(s) plugged-up would be my first response to it also.

Mark
'69 Yellow/Black Houndstooth RS/SS, 4 bolt Crate 350/325hp, TKO600 5 spd, A/C, P/S, PDB, Tilt, 12 Bolt Posi 4.10 Gears, Console&Gauges, Rosewood, Cruisin with XM on 70's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'70 Chevelle w/SS add-ons, 350, 700r4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 06, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
chris

Send a message via AIM to ky67camaro

couldbe a number of things. i own a 93 and the engines in these cars are the worse pieces of scrap metal GM has ever produced in my opinion. poorly designed.
it could be the CAT stopped up, vacum line unpluged., plug wire loose or bad, opti spark cap cracked or old,

the best thing would be to take it to a garage if you are not famailar with these cars. that is if you can make it that far. if it is overheating i would not recommend driving it. most of these cars came out with aluminum heads and ifone is warpped or cracked you outta just junk thecar.

chris hart is the name, welding is my thing.
the cars i own currently are:
2003 dodge ram v8 5spd baby!
1933 plymouth
67 camaro bbc 427 78nova SF
67 mustang
50 buick special 4dr
63 impala 2dr
65 chevy impala ss convert
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 06, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

well, much thanks for the responses, I appreciate your input. The exhaust system is not stock but I will check to see if the cats are clogged. I have replaced or checked everything else.. the O2 sensors, plugs, Mass Air sensor, air intake bellows duct, fuel filter, checked for vaccum leaks, checked for any air leaks, checked the fuel pressure... none of the above solved the problem. Next will be the fuel injectors and optispark(must be one of these if not the cats clogged, right?) I am puzzled....I completely agree that this is the worst engine design, changing the plugs really stunk, One O2 sensor did not want to budge and come out(Getting to it was hard enough) Oh boy, well I will keep on trying things, but it is going to the garage this week... thankfully on my road is a repair shop!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 06, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

well, I replaced the O2 sensors and the fuel filter and the car is still running the same. The fuel pressure is fine as well. I called a garage on my street and they are going to put the car on the computer and try to diagnose the problem.... Hopefully it won't be too bad and too expensive to fix!!!! Wish me luck, and thanks for all your help.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 06, 04:49 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky67camaro
most of these cars came out with aluminum heads and ifone is warpped or cracked you outta just junk thecar.
Why so you can buy it and flip it on ebay?

richsgirl - there is nothing wrong with the modern LT1 in these cars. Please excuse poor advice like some given by Chris. Every V8 Camaro between 1993 -1997 and many years of corvettes were equipped with the same engine that's in your car. The cars design makes them a bit hard to work on and there could be a problem with the optispark if the waterpump goes out and leaks.

One part of Chris's advice was good, instead of throwing money at it replacing parts, find a shop with the odb diagnostics and they will just about nail the problem with a computer diag.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode