68 camaro help, no fuel? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 06, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

68 camaro help, no fuel?

68 camaro stock 327. car starts fine when i prime carb, or if i remove the fuel line at tank and stick in a gas can it will start and run! when i connect the fuel line to the tank, i do not get any gas at the carb... tank obviously has gas, and it did work once before... is it the pick up line in the tank? is there a vacuum line somewhere on the tank? the r/s gas cap does not seem to fit right either, could this also be contributing to the problem? i put a glass fuel filter on, and it never fills with gas, should it? i can see the gas "pulsing" into the filter, could my fuel pump be weak? thanks in advance to you guys way more knowledgeable than me, so any help would be Greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 06, 03:08 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: 68 camaro help, no fuel?

Filter inside the tank is clogged or the pickup as broken off from the rest of the unit. Glass fuel filters are dangerous and not recommended.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 06, 05:15 PM
Tech Team

Smile Re: 68 camaro help, no fuel?

I would check the hoses front and rear for cracks first. The pump is going to try to pull the easiest thing it can, and air is easier than fuel. The pick-up tube prefilter may be plugged in the tank, Maybe someone put something in your tank, or it might be decades of dirt. The mechanical pump is a real reliable item on the engine and is so easy to change compared to the intank pumps on todays cars. If you have a vacuum gauge connect it to the inlet side of the pump. Start the engine and you should see 10-15 inches of vacuum and it should hold when you stop the engine. If it falls off either you have a bad gauge connection or a weak pump. Last one I got from my AC Delco jobber came in around $18.50 in the box. Good luck!!
1967 Camaro SS, 350, matching #s car, Factory A/C, owned over 31 years!!!
1969 Z-28, matching #s, dusk blue, white stripes, M22

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 06, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
ralph

Smile Re: 68 camaro help, no fuel?

have you tryied a blast of air this will blow your sock off the tank or restriction you will hear bubbles in the tank then let her rip west68
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 06, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Glass filter - throw it out. They virtually always leak. Very dangerous.

Make sure you have enough gas in the tank! I'd add another couple of gallons, just to be sure.

Sounds like something tank related, or possibly the rubber hose connected to tank. Replace that rubber hose.................... If still no good, then sounds like tank needs to come out, which is pretty easy job. Just make sure you're careful when lowering..........

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 06, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys. i kind of had the glass fuel filter in as a troubleshooting aid, but its GREAT to know they can be trouble. Thanks again!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 06, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Is it fixed? If so, what was the problem?

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 06, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

yup fixed it. i guess that it was the pickup filter, it was pretty shabby when i removed it. a pile of rust like stuff fell out of it when i took it apart. running great again. THANKS everyone for the help!!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 06, 07:37 PM

If i were you i would go ahead and replace all the lines as well. I had that same problem on my 81 z28. The filter jsut filled with air. Thought it was the pump, changed it and nothing. Replaced lines and it fired right up and ran great. If it runs rough try and high voltage coil on it too. I changed that out adn it runs like a charm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode