Chasing An Oil Leak - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Chasing An Oil Leak

I have a problem and am trying to trace an oil leak. Only problem is that I cannot see what parts it is leaking on because the block is black and super clean. I heard of an additive that you can add to oil that will illuminate under black light?? Has anyone used this? Can it be used with synthetic oils and is it safe to run in your engine?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Chasing An Oil Leak

Yes, it works very well. Use it just before you change oil.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I've used the dye many times before and it works well. Not sure about the long term effect on a syntheic but I've not noticed any issues. Like Everett says change it soon after. There's only a ounce or two in a bottle anyway. I suggest using a florescent bulb or maybe two in a fixture that's small enough to move around the engine. I haven't had much luck with the regular type bulbs, they don't seem to put out as much light. You may even see the leak without the light at all as the dye turns the oil a greenish color about like antifreeze.

Edit: These bulbs are available in different sizes at Lowes and Home Depot

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys,

I appreciate it. I guess there is a company called TRACERLINE that puts out a complete kit that allows you to check leaks from your A/C to your coolant system and everything in between. They also give you yellow tinted glasses, clean up spray and a small UV flexible flash light that can be connect via a 14 foot alligator clips to your battery. I guess I will be buying it since it is only 45 bucks. Seems like a good investment to me. Anyone ever use this particular kit from this company? Thanks again.

Mark
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Rob.

Spray baby powder on it, you will see a line where the oil drips through the powder, warm it up first.

Rob

"There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 06:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I got a similar kit from NAPA. I got the one w/the flashlight that works on batteries and glasses. Added the dye and ran the engine in my dark garage @ night and found my super annoying oil leak in just a couple of minutes.

Mine was the back of the intake. I'd replaced the rubber seal w/goop but it didn't take the first time. I think I might have bumped my head when I jumped up in joy after finding the leak.

Well worth the couple of $$$

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 06, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ss
Spray baby powder on it, you will see a line where the oil drips through the powder, warm it up first.

Rob
And I thought I was the only one who used baby powder. It is an excellent detector, changes color when wet. Martha White flour works well also.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 06, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

How do you get the baby powder or flour onto the engine? You just grabbing some and throwing it on there as best you can?

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 06, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
How do you get the baby powder or flour onto the engine? You just grabbing some and throwing it on there as best you can?-
Yes.

'
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 06, 04:05 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
How do you get the baby powder or flour onto the engine? You just grabbing some and throwing it on there as best you can?
-
Johnson's baby powder has a top that twists to expose holes like the top of a salt shaker; just shake it on the area you suspect, and watch the leak discolor it immediately. Have used this method for 40 years.

JohnZ
CRG
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 06, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well,

I got a leak detector. It was for an A/C and radiator leak but came with the Black light and yellow glasses.I bought some dye that is to be used for OIL. I put a half an ounce in and ran the car for a good 20 minute spirited drive. Pulled it back into the garage and within a couple of minutes I could see the oil dripping off the scattershield onto the floor. I grabbed the glasses and the light and shined it on the oil spot on the floor. It showed up as a dark mustard color. Visible but not really like a bright light set. I traced it up the oil pan up the oil filter under the back part of the head and it looks like from what I can see it is pooling on the back of the motor on the part that the bell housing connects to on the block. I tried to get behind the motor but as many of you know that is near impossible to do without ripping the motor out. I see the same trail on the back of the motor on the other side as well. But there are a couple of things I noticed for sure.

1. It definately is NOT coming from the distributor or the valve covers.

2. I think it may be coming from the back of the manifold but cannot confirm this 100% since I cannot get behind it from any angle to see if it is coming from there.

3. I see the stains on the back part of the heads just underneath it between the head and the block but am not sure if this is wicking from trailing from the back of the block or if it is coming from that area also.

4. The dye is visible but not super bright. I tried making the garage as dark as possible to try and give it more light but it still doesnt show anything super clear. Kind of like there may be a leak behind the manifold but cannot say definately.

Anyways sorry for the long post but this is driving me crazy. Can oil leak from between the heads and the block?? If it is pooling on the back of the motor up near the top end of the ^ shape on back of the motor does this mean that the leak is definately coming from the manifold? The oil sender unit is there as well but like I said before there is not enough of a brightness to make a definitive answer. Is there a better brand name dye to use that will show up SUPER BRIGHT? I also am using synthetic oil. ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED..

Mark
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 06, 07:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Mark,

If there's a wife in the house borrow one of her make up mirrors (without her knowing of course) to look behind the rear of the intake where it meets the block. Just slide it between the firewall and engine and have a look. You might even just use a flash light instead of the black light. Sounds like you're already suspecting this to be the problem and you're probably right. As far as extra dye check out your local NAPA about 4 bucks a bottle. More dye does help the view of course you'll have to run the engine some more to get the results.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 06, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

Just a FYI on the baby powder or flour...I did this and found where the leak was, which was coming from where I suspected in the first place, however it was a total mess to clean up...The powder got into ever knook and cranny and was difficult to clean up...if you have a daily driver car that you are not too worried about cleanliness, the baby powder is a good way to find your leak. It was difficult to spray it up from the bottom and get it to stick...but it did show me where my leak "was"...just my 2 cents...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 06, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey guys thanks alot. I didnt even think of using a mirror. That is the great thing about sites like this. Sometimes the logical, common sense answer is right in front of you and you just dont see it.

Thanks
Mark
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 06, 02:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I used one of those flexible mirrors that you can get at the auto parts store and the special light. If you have oil pooling on the back of the engine behind the distributor, it is 99% chance of being the rear seal on the intake.

Also, don't worry about using a decent amount of the dye. I found the dye from Advance auto parts lit up a lot better than the stuff I got from NAPA. You're going to probably change the oil after you're done anyway.

You can get the manifold off and on in no time and be sure to replace the rear rubber seal w/a generous bead of silicone automotive goop. After I do this, I let the stuff set up overnight before I run the engine.

Mine was driving me nuts. I'd drive around for 1/2 hour and then when I'd park, I was getting a couple of drips on the floor. My bellhousing was wet w/oil and the dye was the only way I could find the leak.

You might not have to even leave the garage. I checked mine running @ night after running it for 5 minutes while I watched w/the light and mirror. Don't use any other lights than the one from the kit and you'l find it pretty quick. Mine started to leak after the car warmed up a little bit and I could see it trickling out of the back of the manifold.

The good news is if the oil is on the top of the block by the intake, you probably don't have a bad rear main seal.

Good luck

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode