Help Help Help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 06, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Help Help Help

my 86' camaro V6 2.8L still has no spark, it turns over but therre is no spark, new ignition coil and module, new car, new rotor, new pick up coil, good wires, fuses are good, and the grounds are good, i gave up and paid Bush's automotive to fix it and they gave up, someone told me that it could also be an ignition switch...is this possible for this problem....and when the car died, it spit and spudderd and then it died completely, i cant seem to diagnose the problem.....help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 06, 08:39 PM
Tech Team
Scot

Re: Help Help Help

The distri. in those cars are not very good. I had the same thing happen to me and I found out that water leaks onto it. I ended up going to a wrecking yard and got another one and it worked fine after that. That may not be your problem but you might want to look and see.

Live like there is no tomorrow
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 06, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

the auto shop i paid to fix it got a dist. from a junkyard and put it in and it still wouldnt work, but ive recently heard that and ignition switch could do that....letting the motor turn over, but not sparking....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 06, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech
Rob.

I had a 69 dart that did the same thing, I separated all the wires in the engine compartment that were in a loom or together, and found one that was broke but still touching, just be carefull and don't twist them around to much.

Rob

"There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 06, 06:34 PM

I don't know if that old of a camarow has an anti theft system on it but my 95 does and the wire from the ignition switch to the computer at the base of the steering colum was bad and it did what your saying
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 06, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help i will try those ideas....i was also told that the ignition switch itself could do such things.....if anyone knows anything else it would be appreaciated...this is my only car right now, and ive been with out a ride for about a months now and its killing me
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 02:56 AM
Tech Team
Scot

You know i had a 83 Camaro that I got from a friend cause it would not run, and it turned out to be the timing chain was bad. i replaced it and she ran great. Have you check it for TDC?

Live like there is no tomorrow
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Have you got fuel to the cylinders? Remove a spark plug from each side and see if they are wet. With alot of attempting to start, plugs would be wet with fuel. No fuel, no start, unless its known for sure the car has no spark.

Yes, it could be an ign switch. The big red wire at the distributor should have power with ign switch in IGN position and START position.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 07:58 PM
Tech Team
Thomas

If its fuel injected, there won't be any fuel unless the computer "sees" the engine rotating. You've replace the entire distributor so my first guess of bad ignition pickup is wrong (not the module, but that can be bad too). I think some auto stores can check functionality of modules.

Maybe try and wire a completely separate 12v wire to the distributor (with a rated toggle switch).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode