Throttle linkage on Holley, need picture please - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 06, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Throttle linkage on Holley, need picture please

Almost have all the little gremlins ran out of my 1969 Camaro. It seems like there isn't any pedal. It moves very little and it won't allow the 4 barrel to open up. Car runs great, but would be wicked fast if the secondaries would open. Linkage on it now looks to be somewhat "cobbled". Not sure if it is correct or not.
Could someone please send me a picture of their linkage as well as a view of their transmission kickdown linkage.
Thanks.

Ratbikeharley
Wrenching endlessly on my wife's 1969 Camaro.
Keeping her happy is easier than keeping the car running!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 02:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: Throttle linkage on Holley, need picture please

Is your throttle linkage adjustable? I would disconnect it from the carb, open the carb all the way and then see if your rod will go back into the carb without having to force the linkage to the firewall. If not, make the adjustment with the swivel part of the rod until it goes into the hole. Also look for any obstruction behind the throttle linkage by the firewall (wires, hoses). I don't have any pics of kickdown linkage but I can get some of the throttle if you still need them.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

I'm going to try and take a picture of my linkage and post it here. My brother-in-law says that the linkage needs to go into the top hole of the carb. We tried placing it there, and it seemed like the pedal was in a bind then.
Please post picks of throttle linkage. I still need them. The kickdown linkage is right there by the throttle linkage as well.
We'll see if my pictures turn out.

Ratbikeharley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech

Here is another one with more of the back.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Mine is right like yours, Not sure what the problem is. How did you get you pics to post? Can't seem to get mine to upload to photobucket to load here.

Ratbikeharley
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Computer must be really slow to upload...anyhow...I'll look for some kind of obstruction. Seems like pedal only has about an inch or so of travel. not much at all.
Thanks everyone...

Ratbikeharley
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Something else you may want to check is the pedal linkage coming out of the firewall where the arm is attached to running up the back of the engine. You may be slipping slightly when pressing on the pedal. It kind of a pain to get to (somethimes easier with valve cover off) but it's just a clamp on the end of the shaft. Needs to be tight.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Ok, I ended up moving my transmission kickdown cable. This allowed my throttle cable to move a little more freeier. However, it still won't allow the secondaries to open up. Now when driving the car at WOT, the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd almost immediately. Any suggestions? I'm going to play a little with the kickdown somewhat. I also am having a problem with the shifter linkage as well. I cannot get the car into 1st gear.
When the shifter in in 1st, it actually is in 2nd.
In a discussion, I was told to remove the cable from trans, and turn shifter clockwise. I'm sure it was in park at tranny and put cable back on. Still not right.....I think I need another Gremlin Bomb to get rid of those pesky $#%^&#@!!!!

Ratbikeharley
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 06, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Messed around again with linkage today. Still not opening up secondaries. Transmission kickdown moved to center of adjustment. Shifting still weird. Carb was running way to rich. I adjusted to what Holley recommends 1 1/2 out on Idle/mixture set. I think they were out about 3 or 4 turns originally. Car still not running right. I'm going to try and time it tomorrow just to be sure its not the reason.
Any other ideas?

Ratbikeharley
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 06, 06:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Could you try to find the grommet and plastic sleeve and mount that front swivel int the top or forward hole? Is that the factory linkage? Orginal carb or linkage?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 06, 07:12 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikeharley View Post
Messed around again with linkage today. Still not opening up secondaries. Transmission kickdown moved to center of adjustment. Shifting still weird. Carb was running way to rich. I adjusted to what Holley recommends 1 1/2 out on Idle/mixture set. I think they were out about 3 or 4 turns originally. Car still not running right. I'm going to try and time it tomorrow just to be sure its not the reason.
Any other ideas?
Maybe I missed it but what type of carb, mechanical or vacuum secondary?

As for adjustment (easier said than done) disconnect the linkage from the carb, open the throttle WOT by hand and shorten the connector linkage so it fits between the arm on the firewall (pushed back against the firewall) and the carb.

Before actually modifying the connector rod, mock up something with stiff wire to see if the throttle will return all the way, it should but if not you have a problem between the pedel and the arm on the firewall.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 06, 08:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

definitely check the movement of the pedal assembly and lever.
As stated, the lever should be tight to the pedal assembly.

The only things that limit movement is the firewall and the intake manifold. That thing should move enough to put one carb at WOT, then hook another there and do it again. Make sure your wiring harness and plug wires are out of the way, get the plug wires under the linkage if you can, but make sure they stay there or they will bind it up.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 06, 01:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

heres a pic of mine with a trick linkage

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 06, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

A couple of things:

If you have a vacuum secondary Holley, you won't be able to see the secondaries open - they only open when the engine is under a load. You CAN watch the secondaries open with a double pumper.

Disconnect the linkage at the carb and manually open the carb as far as it will go and make a note of where it stops. Hook the linkage back up to the carb and have a helper mat the pedal and compare. If it doesn't seem to be going all of the way, do a couple of things:

Disconnect the linkage from the carb (again) and pull the rod toward the front of the engine as far as it will go. The lever coming up from the firewall will hit the back of the intake manifold. Hold it in that position and thread your little rod to carb connector doohickey until it lines up with the hole in the carb linkage, and re-attach the clip.This should give you max travel distance with your set-up. Also, as stated earlier, make sure the pinch bolt/nut is tight where the throttle lever joins the pedal assembly at the firewall. You can get a fair amount of slop there.

I had the EXACT same problem as you, and no matter which hole I used on the carb, I couldn't get WOT. What I finally did was remove the gas pedal assembly an heat it and bend it so I could get more travel. It in effect makes the gas pedal sit a bit higher up off the floor. A pain, but works perfectly now.

Here's a picture of mine - I made my own rod to the carb. Disregard the kickdown on mine - it's a TV cable for an overdrive automatic - not the same as yours.

Once you get your throttle squared away, then you can reset your kickdown cable. Get under the hood and pry up the plastick locking clip on the kickdown cable. Open the throttle to WOT, and, holding it there, lock the clip back down. Release the throttle, and you're done. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode