Need Lot's Of Help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 06, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Need Lot's Of Help

I HAVE JUST INSTALL A REBUILT CHEV 350 AND ADDED SMALL ELGIN CAM BIG HEAD & VALVES. I SENT MY ECM OFF FOR REPROGRAMING. I HAVE INSTALL A TPI FROM A 92 Z28 ON THIS MOTOR. IT WILL START BUT WON'T IDLE AND RUNS ROUGH. MY FUEL PRESSURE IS 40 W/LINE HOOKED UP. I HAVE TRYED TO RESTAB DIS. AND RETIMED IT, EVERTHING APPEARS TO BE FINE BUT IT STILL WON'T IDLE @ 800 RPM. IF ANYONE CAN HELP PLEASE REPLY.

THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 12:50 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Need Lot's Of Help

First of all, we need a little more info.
What year, model of car, what generation of engine that you have in it now? Is it the factory motor that has just been rebuilt or did you get a total different engine altogether? You said the TPI is 92... is the everything else 92?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 07:38 AM
Retired
Jim

and please turn off the caps lock, its hard to read that way.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I renoved the TPI out of my 92 Z28 and installed it to a 1984 chev 350 that i'm trying to build my rock crawler. the EMC is a speed den system.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Need Lot's Of Help

(scratching head here)
That car came with a carb originally correct?
Tune Ports did not show up till 85.
Let me think here a minute, maybe someone else will chime in here.
Can you drive it?
Will the car move at all?
Im curious as to why you did not just drop the entire motor out of the 92 in there?
Is that motor shot?
Another thing that seems to be a red flag is I think that fuel pressure is too low for a TPI, I could be wrong, but I think off the top of my head it needs to be 90 pounds. Let us research it.
One other thing. Your sure that 84 is a 350 and not a 305?
So its a built 1984 350 correct?
Reason I am asking is the injectors are different between the 305 and 350.
The stock TPI fuel-pressure regulator used on '85 models was 30 pounds at idle; '86 and later models all used a 38-pound regulator.
The adjustable fuel-pressure regulator can be used to put 305 (19.9 pounds) injectors on a 327 to 350 engine or used with 350 (21.9 pounds) injectors on a higher horsepower 350 engine. A 300-horsepower plus 350 engine or 383/406 should use at least a 24.9-pound injector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 1BADRS; Aug 30th, 06 at 02:57 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Yes the TPI came from my 92 Z28 and I installed it on my 84 chev 350/rock crawler. The crawler runs and drives but it won't idle and it runs rough.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech

Cool Re: Need Lot's Of Help

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. The TPI manifold has a tap in the back and one underneith that are easy to overlook.

There is an idle calibration procedure for the TPI. You might check out http://www.thirdgen.org for additional details. Here is what I recall about the recalibration procedure.

*Remove the Idle Air Control motor (IAC).
*Put the ECM into diagnostic mode - I believe shorting the lower right two pins on the diag connector will do this.
*Turn the ignition on, but do not start the motor. The IAC motor should extend fully and then step back to it's baseline position.
*Turn off the ignition, disconnect the IAC and remove the diag shorting plug. This will leave the IAC motor in it's basline position.
*Reinstall the IAC motor with it's wiring disconnected.
*Start the engine and adjust the idle hard stop for some specified RPM (800 I believe).
*Use a DVM to measure the TPS voltage and adjust it to some specified baseline value (somewhere around 0.75 volts I think).
*Stop the engine, reconnect the IAC and your done.

Any vacuum leak will seriously upset the idle control. Unplugged ports are one common source as I mentioned above. An improperly connected PCV system is another cupret. Seems like it is real easy to connect the PCV to the wrong port on the left side of the TPS manifold.

Hope this helps although I can't swear by my procedure or the calibration values. The thirdgen site or a good service manual should clear that up.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

Last edited by dnult; Aug 31st, 06 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention reinstall of the IAC motor.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks dave, i'll try it tommorrow morning and get back with you. I'm fixing to leave and go hog hunting. see ya

Thanks again
David
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Dave. Sounds like your fuel pressure/injectors are fine.
Probably end up being a vacume issue somewhere or something else.
Let us know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode