98 V6 Fuel pressure drops after Key On Engine Off - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 06, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

98 V6 Fuel pressure drops after Key On Engine Off

98 Camaro 3.8L Conv. stock

I have a Sutton Engineering fuel injection cleaning kit that consists of a fuel pressure gauge that attaches to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and a screw-on pressurized fuel injector cleaner aerosol can that attaches to the other end of the fuel pressure gauge with a shutoff valve. I try to clean each of my vehicles injectors each year as preventive maintenance. I removed the fuel pump relay and the car runs off of the fi cleaner can. My problem is that the car would not run very long off of the can. After the car stopped, the fuel pressure dropped to 0. It should stay pressurized. I closed the shutoff valve on the fuel pressure gauge, plugged the fuel pump relay back in, and checked my key on, engine off
fuel pressure. With the key on, engine off, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds as expected, the pressure is 50-55 psi which is normal, but within 3-5 seconds, the pressure is back to 0. The pressure should hold. The check engine light was on a few months ago and the dealer told me it was the fuel pressure regulator which they replaced. Anyone have any idea why my fuel pressure is not holding? Maybe the fuel pump? I used the pressure gauge on my other vehicles and it worked fine and the pressure holds. Other than the KOEO pressure problem, the car runs fine.

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 06, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 98 V6 Fuel pressure drops after Key On Engine Off

If you're trying to run the fuel from a small can, the volume of the small can cannot sustain the pressure required for any length of time, if I read your post correctly.

If fuel pressure is dropping after pump shutdown, either the regulator is bad or the check valve in the pump is leaking, or pump is bad.

If the car runs fine, I wouldn't worry about it, IMO. As long as the pump can supply fuel, then it should be good. This is why the pump primes the fuel system at first start.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 06, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

just to add... along with a bad regulator or pump... aleaking injector will also cause pressure to drop once you shut the car down...allowing the fuel to drip into the intake..

1967 Camaro, 468cid, 530 Hp, 515 ftlbstourque, 9 inch w/4.11 gears,detriot locker, 4 wheel disc brakes, th400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 06, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
george

The foot valve in the pump fails to hold rail presssure.The 2 second prime will suffice for now,kinda like a band aid.replace the tank unit will fix it.This requires a hoist unless you are a beast for punishment.The rear axle needs to be dropped so as not to bend the filler neck and have a fuel leak at the filler neck to tank joint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode