Help Me Camero Guys - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 06, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Help Me Camero Guys

I Have A 350 87 Tuned Port Camero Engine In My 37 Dodge 2 Door Sedan. Problem: Everything Ran Fine For 3 Years After I Bought The Car. I Drove It To The Vidio Store And It Refused To Start.
Long Story Short, It Starts Fine Cold And Runs Fine For About 10 To 12 Minutes Then Sounds Like The Fuel Is Shut Off And Stalls. Just Before It Stalls Black, Really Rich Type Mix Comes Out The Exhaust. Leaves Round Soot Looking Marks On The Pavement, The Exhaust Tips Point To The Ground. Then It Won't Start Again Till It's Cold, Like The Next Morning. Then Everything Is Fine Til It Warms Up And Stalls Again.
It's Not The Coil(changed), It's Not The Injecters (changed) It's Not The Brain Box Or The Performance Chip (changed).
My Latest Guess Is The Fuel Pump But I Just Spent 300 Bucks On Injecters So I Don't Want To Replace The Pump If That's Not It.
Any Ideas Guys? Any Help Would Really Be Appreciated And Thanks In Advance For Any I Get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 06, 09:38 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc
Re: Help Me Camero Guys

Something similiar to this happened to my IROC not long ago. The problem was the IAC valve--the pintle was coked up. I replaced it with a new one--GM part #25527077--still available, and it fixed the problem. Good luck.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 06, 11:52 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Welcome to Team Camaro!
BTW, there's not E in Camaro!

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech

Check the fuel pressure regulator to see if it's internal diaphram has ruptured. It is located at the right rear of the motor. Pull the vacuum line off of it and see if fuel is present in the vacuum port. Could be that it has ruptured and is pumping raw fuel in through the vacuum line.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 06, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

The more I find out the less I know. Like no E in camaro!Duh.
Where is the IAC valve located?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 06, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Camaro

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 06, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech

I believe it is on the right hand side of the throttle body near the throttle shaft. It's about 1.25" in diamter an 1.5" long. It has a square connector on the end of it - 4 wires I think.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 06, 05:49 PM
Troy

I had an 87 IROC with tuned port and it did about the same thing. I had two sensors that went out. The chevy garage told me that the computer could not get proper readings and went into limp home mode. They said that this makes the car run very rich since it cant read the settings. I would see if you have any codes comming up in the computer and go from there. Good luck.

Troy Adam
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 06, 07:32 AM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Camero ?

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 06, 08:16 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

The IAC is on the right-side of the throttle body, tucked down there tight. It's a bear to get to, but you can get it off with Channelocks instead of taking the throttle body off. My car never recognized any codes, Troy, which was really confusing and frustrating! The GM mechanics said all the same things--could be the fuel pump, cold start injector, fuel pressure regulator...etc. Guess I got lucky by trying the IAC.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 06, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Adam View Post
I had an 87 IROC with tuned port and it did about the same thing. I had two sensors that went out. The chevy garage told me that the computer could not get proper readings and went into limp home mode. They said that this makes the car run very rich since it cant read the settings. I would see if you have any codes comming up in the computer and go from there. Good luck.
Here's the good part...I bought the car from a guy that owned a junkyard. So the wiring is pretty interesting to say the least. Most of the connections are stripped wires twisted together and taped. Lots of them just end, again with tape on them. None of that was a problem when it was running right. But now it's a mess. I have no readouts on the dash at all but there is a diagnostic port.
Unfortunately I'm more into carbs and MSDs than computer diegnostics. Don't even have anything to tune it with.
Guess I'll have to trailor it over to the neighborhood garage and see how much money they can screw me out of!
I just figured some one out there in camaro ( no E, I'm sorry already! I can't spell.) land who might know a cheaper easier way.
You don't know which sensors they were do you?
thanks jon
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 06, 10:30 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

I hear ya, Jon! Gimme a Holley anytime, for I'm no computer car whiz either. But if everything was working OK on your car despite the pieced wiring, it still sounds like a something you can fix, for the wiring was working. When my '87 went nuts I knew NOTHING about TPI, but damn if I was gonna pay GM mechanics the big bucks to fix it if I could help it--I'm a poor guy, too. I spent a few hours studying TPI and getting to know what it was all about, and it's not that complicated if the computer hasn't puked. Remember getting familiar with power valves and pump cams and squirters and the difference between a 4150 and a 4160 Holley for example? I took TPI as a challenge and admittedly I lucked out, but it was a helluva good feeling when I solved the problem from being more informed, and I understand it better now. With that said, the car will probably smack me down with a vengeance the next time I drive it (chuckle). Good luck!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 06, 06:08 AM
Troy

That was about eight years and countless grey hairs ago. I think one was the mass air flow sensor and I can't remember the other. I do remember the parts were only a few bucks but the shop charged $ 250 to run the diagnostic machine.

Troy Adam
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 06, 09:40 AM

Remember, your Camaro is your "Friend" not a "shrimp" Camaro is derived from a French word meaning "friend" or "companion." Camero means "shrimp" in Spanish. Easy way to remember.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 06, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
george

Sounds like a coolant temp sensor.Quickest and easiest way to diagnose this is with a bi-directional scan tool.The resistance values can be measured and compared to tables also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode