Flooding??? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Flooding???

Hey guys\gals,
I'm having a little trouble here with my 327. For background, I just had the cam replaced 2 weeks ago. A week later, while driving, the car stalled on me. I tried starting it back up and it sounded like it was flooded. I towed it back home and the next day I tried it again. Same problem right off the bat. However I happened to hold the key all of the way to the right and it stayed running. I pulled the ignition out and saw a loose wire. I fixed it and it started right up.
This weekend I took it out again. I ran it about 15 miles away and it sat for about 4 hours, i got in and it started. However, on the way home it started sputtering and finally stalled on the access road. Again flooded.
Symptoms: Fuel filter is full (no bubble), Car will start after cranking it over without giving it gas but dies again, and now it's backfiring (although that may be a different issue).
It has a Edel 4bbl manual choke 600cfm, Edel air gap intake and comp cam.
Any help diagnosing would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Missing my Camaro!
See Profile Pic:
67 Camaro 327 4speed (LS1/T56 purchased - awaiting install)
2010 Summit White/Inferno Rally 2SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Flooding???

ignition still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Sorry, forgot to put that I checked that and it was all good.

Missing my Camaro!
See Profile Pic:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

No other suggestion besides that???

Missing my Camaro!
See Profile Pic:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Well theres floodin down in Texas....all of the telephone lines are down

Have you checked for debris in the needle/seats?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy

Do you think it is possible your new cam went flat? One other thing comes to mind only because it happened to someone I know recently -Check the gear and shear pin on your distributer -In this case the distributer still turned (some) but was way off. When he pulled the Distributer out the shear pin was toast and the gear stayed in the engine! Just a couple suggestions.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I just talked to the Auto shop on base and one of the guys said they will go over the carb with me. He said to get a gallon of carb cleaner to let it sit in and then we would check the floats. Never opened one up before, but I'm thankful for the learning experience.
I hope the cams not flat. When it's running, it idles and revs good, which leads me to believe that it's O.K. Would the distributor issue be with the flooding or the backfire? I did see a burnt sparkplug wire and loose distributor cap, which I thought was the cause of the backfire. I reseated it and replaced the wire, but that didn't fix it. I haven't been able to look further than that. I thought maybe a fouled sparkplug???
This is driving me crazy cause I just got it back because it wasn't working and now this.
Thanks guys.

Missing my Camaro!
See Profile Pic:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Well theres floodin down in Texas....all of the telephone lines are down

Have you checked for debris in the needle/seats?
Boy, that Stevie Ray hasn't done much lately....

Try running a jumper wire from the + side of your battery to the + side of your coil

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

If you think you have it narrowed down to a flooding issue , then your needle and seat assy.either has debris in it as already stated or the float itself is sinking due to a pin hole or something and the float took on some gas causing it to sink instead of floating as it should,this very thing happened to me with a brand new holley street avenger not long ago , it drove me nuts.

Russ
1969 RS conv,hugger orange,396 4 speed,373 12 bolt posi.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

We need more info. Your symptoms are leading to ignition, but you say it's fine. How did you check it? The last time I chased a problem like this it turned out to be the wire from the starter solenoin up to the coil. It was melting on the exhaust, but when it cool down it would break contact and run again, then as soon as it got hot it would melt again and ground out the ignition again. I'm not saying this is the problem you are having, I'm just saying don't rule out the ignition yet.

ERIC
67 Convertible, 350CID, TKO600RR, 3.73 Eaton Posi
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 04:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm sticking with ignition.

A perfectly good carb didn't go bad overnight because you changed the cam, then had an ignition problem fromn a bad wire....

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 06, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thanks guys. I'll check the wires from underneath. Would this cause the flooding or just not being able to start. I always thought the starter wasn't used after the initial start. The ignition problem had come from that I just happened to take out the ignition after the car ran fine when I held the key in the start position. I noticed a break in the (thick red) wire and after soldering it, it fixed the initial problem. This last time it stalled, I checked the wire and it was still attached.
I was on the same page with the ignition issue until I saw the wire was good. Then I turned to the carb. I would love to not mess with the carb and find a wire overheating.
Also, after getting the car back from the shop for the cam, I noticed they tied the manual choke off to the valve cover with a wire. I had a spring on it before I took it in. What would this do to the choke, not having any play in it?
Thanks for sticking with me guys.

Missing my Camaro!
See Profile Pic:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 06, 02:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

as long as the choke is held securely open, it's ok.

Ignition flakyness can cuase the engine to load up and act flooded. No spark + still drawing fuel = extra fuel.

If the wiring and distributor is stock, then the distributor gets power from the yellow wire on the starter when the key is in start, from the "other" wire (wasn't red when the car was built) when the key is in run.

If it starts but later quits, it is not the carb.
If fuel squirts when you jack the throttle, it's most likely not the fuel system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode