Installing New Headers - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Installing New Headers

Is it at all possible to install headers without removing the engine (sb) from a 69?? Will normal height floor jacks be sufficient clearance for installation??? Any input would be appreciated.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Re: Installing New Headers

I have a 67, and the subframes are the same, so I imagine it is nearly the same procedure. I had to jack mine up pretty high, but was able to manuver them in pretty easily. The passenger side went in easily. The drivers side was a PITA. I have power steering, so that didn't help matters. I did have to "customize" one of the header tubes to clear the power steering box. I think the drivers side can only be manuvered in one way, so be patient, it will go. At least the Hooker Headers I have fit. Can't vouch for other brands.

Jack it up, and use jackstands and the jack, just to be safe. Block the wheels too.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 03:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Yes you can. No need to pull engine. Like what was said above, the passenger can usually go in from the top down. The drivers side usually has to go from the bottom up. You will need to get the car as high as possible and be safe. Remove spark plugs and anything else you can see what might stop you. You may have to pull the dip stick out of the block too. If it's a stick, you will have to remove Z-bar and linkage. Worse case is you may have to unbolt motor mounts and lift engine slightly to get the drivers side in.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Will the hood have to be removed for the headers to go in from the top?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 06, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSK BLUE View Post
Will the hood have to be removed for the headers to go in from the top?
I put both of mine in from the bottom. I cannot imagine removing the hood, when both can be put in fairly easily from below. Removing the dipstick is a must, but I left my plugs in. I would not remove the hood, as it can be a pain to get it lined up again. IMO, harder than simply jacking the car up and feeding them in from below.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 06, 05:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

No need to remove engine or hood -- have installed headers many times -- passenger side can go in from the top; drivers side goes in from the bottom (with the car jacked up fairly high) -- simple, straightforward install

==Doug
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
owner
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 06, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Passenger side is super easy, like about a 5 minute job. The drivers side has to be from the bottom. You may have to dent your headers, depending on th model. The PS gearbox makes it very painful.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 06, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech

It's always easier to install headers from underneath the car. Just jack up the front of the car and support the car with jackstands. There is no need to do anything to the motor. What kind of headers are you installing? I have Hedman shorties which are real easy to install vs. full length headers. Either way it's a pretty simple job other than dimpling the driver's side header due to the steering gearbox if needed. Good luck!

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 06, 07:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

hmm i did mine from the top.
though i did need to raise the car a foot or so to swing the headers rearward.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 06, 07:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you can just drop the pass side in from the top unless you have A/C.
The drivers side goes in from the bottom, at a very steep angle. As was said, plugs, dipstick tube and z-bar or backdrive linkage will have to come off. Depending on the header, you may have to raise the drivers side of the motor slightly to get it in.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 06, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech

just use a BFH to massage the right areas to make them badboys fit
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 06, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Talking Re: Installing New Headers

a BFH will make it fit by a RCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode