about to get new camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 06, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

about to get new camaro

The only problem is has and it's not a major one but the Engine service light comes on when my dad presses off the brake. Sometimes it'll stay on and go away but eventually it'll come on. He pay over $800 to try to get it fixed but it isn't. He had them replace the EGR Valve and the computer but it's doing the same thing as before. Anyone know how to get rid of this problem. Is it the oxygen sensor going bad?

It's a 1994 camaro with almost 200k miles. But the engine still runs great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 06, 07:55 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: about to get new camaro

Replace the gas cap if you haven't, it's a common chk engine light trigger as it's part of the smog stuff on that car... It will take several cycles of the key to clear the code but it will go away if that is the problem.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 06, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb7247 View Post
The only problem is has and it's not a major one but the Engine service light comes on when my dad presses off the brake. Sometimes it'll stay on and go away but eventually it'll come on. He pay over $800 to try to get it fixed but it isn't. He had them replace the EGR Valve and the computer but it's doing the same thing as before. Anyone know how to get rid of this problem. Is it the oxygen sensor going bad?

It's a 1994 camaro with almost 200k miles. But the engine still runs great.

If the check engine light is on, then there is a code that can be pulled from the computer. Don't spend any more money until you have had it diagnosed. Take it to Autozone and have them pull the codes. It is free, and could potentially save you tons of cash. It could be an oxygen sensor, but if you spent 800.00 trying to get the light to go off, and a mechanic didn't atleast suggest the O2 sensor, then he is not a very good mechanic, imo. Could be a Mass Air Flow sensor, MAPP sensor, throttle position sensor, knock sensor, etc... The code could provide the answer.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 06, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I'll have my dad do that tomorrow when he fixes teh drain plug. The bastards at the auto shop stripped the threads on teh oil pan.

I would assume that the camaro manual book has all the codes? I am not sure.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 06, 06:12 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
I'll have my dad do that tomorrow when he fixes teh drain plug. The bastards at the auto shop stripped the threads on teh oil pan.

I would assume that the camaro manual book has all the codes? I am not sure.
Easy on the name calling. Everyone makes mistakes!

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 06, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Are the codes at http://autorepair.about.com/library/...l-dtcs-51a.htm accurate. And autozone can check this for free. Would stink if he gets to the store and its not free and the light isn't on when he tries to check it. If those codes are not correct can you point me to a site that has the correct codes?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 06, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Are the codes at http://autorepair.about.com/library/...l-dtcs-51a.htm accurate. And autozone can check this for free. Would stink if he gets to the store and its not free and the light isn't on when he tries to check it. If those codes are not correct can you point me to a site that has the correct codes?

The service is free. I have worked there for four years. I guarantee the service is free. The check engine light must be on at the time however. If the light is off, no codes will show up. If you go there and the light is off, have the guy show you how to check the light yourself. You can do this with a little key (we give them out for free) that you plug into the OBD port.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 06, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

does discount auto parts do the same thing. I have like 3 stores alone here in town.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

One more question. Is there one or two oxygen senors required for a '94 camaro. And if there are two of them which I think there are how and where to they install? Is it tough to do?

Last edited by amb7247; Sep 17th, 06 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode