327 plugs randomly not firing-- help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

327 plugs randomly not firing-- help

My newly built 327 (aluminum heads, hi rise, Holley, HEI ignition) has ran great for the first 800 miles or so. Suddenly began misfiring and popping. Several cylinders are taking turns not firing, first #1, then #4, then #8, #5, randomly. Low power and won't idle, engine shudders a little, classic signs of less than 8 cylinders firing. I've checked the obvious-pulled the plugs, they look dark but not too bad, swapped different spark plug wires. These are Vpower racing spark plugs, installed by my engine builder. I took off distributer cap, no visible cracking. The only change I made this summer was to install a 14 inch air cleaner, which when screwed down made contact with the top of two spark plug wires at the top of the dist. cap for a few weeks. Could this have messed up the ignition somehow? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Terry

Last edited by tmannet; Sep 17th, 06 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Re: 327 plugs randomly not firing-- help

Actually the air cleaner wasn't ON the plug wires, but it's real close:

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 03:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

When you installed your air cleaner, could your dist have been loose and moved your timing? May want to throw a light on and check it. Also look for a vac leak. Maybe a hose or plug came off.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

I did have alook at it, distributer was marked w/ white paint, marks still line up perfectly although it could have moved very slightly... no vacum leaks visible...I'll keep looking.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 06:43 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Terry , did you try running it with the air cleaner off so its not touching the wires ? just a thought.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

Jerry, no but I did put my old 11" air cleaner back on....I'm going to talk with my engine builder this week and see if he has any suggestions...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 07:50 PM
Tech Team
Thomas

How did you know which cylinders weren't firing? You've got quite a bit of race components on it. If it's possible,try putting on stock items (module, coil, plugs,?) to see if you can eliminate a few other possibilities. Also, maybe connect a volt gauge directly to the 12v into the distributor to verify your getting full voltage.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 06, 09:14 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc

I'd say check the power valve if the engine has backfired--Holleys are notorious for blowing them. It would make the engine run rich, idle awful and foul plugs. The erratic plugs misfiring isn't timing--you might have some kind of spark scatter going on if the plugs aren't fouling. This may sound nuts, but check the tip of the rotor to see if it's made contact with the firing lugs inside the cap and bent it out of position. This can cause crossfire. Good luck.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

I did in fact check the rotor tip & center contact area....tell me more about checking the carb power valve, I'm an amateur when it comes to carbs-- I am going to pick up a fresh set of plugs & install...and recheck for spark.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Have you done a compression test? Simple and easy to do. This would ensure no blown head gasket.

Did you use a new timing chain and gears? Almost sounds like you skipped a tooth on the timing chain.

Most likely though, is simple ignition or fuel issue. As stated, check power valves. I just take them out and suck on them to make sure diaphragm is still intact, though all later model Holley carbs have blowout protection.

I see you're running HEI distributor. I have had plenty of problems with those. I would suggest swapping out distributor for another one, and just trying it out. I might suggest doing same with carb, just swap out and test. Also, check for vacuum leaks, bad vacuum hoses, intake gaskets, intake loosened up.

Could be you simply need hotter spark plugs. My car was loading them up in short order. I tested 3 or 4 different heat ranges, until I got a nice light color for my style of driving. The plug needs to have proper color to it. If it's black and sooty, then engine is running too rich, or the plug ain't hot enough..........

Here's a good site (with pics) for reading spark plugs:
http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Terry

All good ideas...timing chain & gears are all new, HEI dist. is new, this was a $9,000 engine/transmission/header/component build-up and installation custom built for this camaro, so it wasn't a hack-job... The builder just told me this morning that perhaps that air cleaner up against the plug wires grounded them out, causing fouled plugs and then a no-spark situation...I'm going to look into all the above suggestions & post the results when I get the the bottom of it...

Thanks everyone- T.M.

PS Great spark plug site!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 09:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

your ignition module might be going bad.
i had new modules go bad out of the box.
thats why i ditched the HEI and got a unilite distributor.
also makes more room .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 10:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Terry, after 800 good miles, what parts were new then is not a factor any more. something has failed, plain and simple.

I really hate to even go there, but you might check your valve adjustment.
Might also cut open the oil filter. A flat cam is not out of the question from your description.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I'm gonna guess he's got a roller cam setup in there.........

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 09:59 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc

I agree with JimM--did you break the cam in? If you have any valvetrain noise you could have cam lobe going flat. That would make the engine run erratic, but the scattered misfiring still bugs me. In my humble opinion, the air cleaner shorting out the plug wires is out-and-out b-s, especially since you have new wires. The power valve is a simple thing--take the front bowl and metering block off and try a 65 power valve and a fresh set of plugs. My 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode