Disaster strikes; TH350 is on strike! HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Disaster strikes; TH350 is on strike! HELP!

My 69 Camaro just got a rebuilt engine to go along with the trusty TH350 in it. The trans worked great when I pulled it. While the trans was out I pulled the trans pan and replaced the filter, I also pulled the torque converter and drained out most of the oil in it.

I put it all back in and now when I put the car in gear, nothing happens. I verified that the trans linkage is moving. The driveshaft is not spinning. I checked the vaccum line to the car, the oil lines to the trans cooler; everything looks fine. I looked at the torque converter and it's bolted to the flywheel, just like it should be.

I ran the car about 5 minutes at idle, checked the trans fluid, which is about 1/2 way to the full mark. Please help; I'm out of idea's here.

Thanks in advance;
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Misha

Re: Disaster strikes; TH350 is on strike! HELP!

It sounds like your not letting the transmission "take in" the fluid.

Making sure you have your foot on the brakes, put the trans in drive, and leave it there. It should go into gear when the fluid reaches all the ports then reaches a certain pressure.

With the brakes still on, go into reverse. It should go into gear. Keep it there for a minute. Go back and forth a few times.

Check the trans for fluid again, and fill as needed. It takes awhile to get it right. Cycle the trans a few more times.

Don't forget, the fluid has to go through the radiator also, so there's alot of fluid that needs to be displaced.

Good luck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

did you fill the torque convertor back up before putting it back in?

did it click all the way down and engage the front pump?

was there a small gap between the flywheel and convertor before you bolted them back together? if not you didn't engage the front pump.

automatic trannies will act funny if they are even a pint low on fliud, it sounds like you're a couple of quarts low. add fluid slowly and recheck by engaging all gears slowly, with your foot on the brake, to let the pistons and convertor fill up and then recheck fluid level.

after you get it full again drive it, then let it sit overnight to get the air bubbles out of the fluid and recheck the fluid level again in the morning.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Thanks for the tips. I didn't add any fluid to the torque converter when I put it back on. When I put it back on I just bolted it onto the flywheel, then stabbed the transmission; I have no idea if the front pump was engaged. I though you just bolted the trans up and that was that. I've alway had manual transmissions so this is a harsh learning experience for me.

What can I do right now to check and see if the front pump is engaged? I have the dust shield removed, so I can see the TC easily.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech
Misha

Not trying to spook you, but I hope you didn't do what I did a few years back when I installed my transmission onto the engine......

The tc was not fully engaged / lined-up into the pump and I tightened the trans onto the motor. When the two almost touched, I heard something pop.

It was the pump gear itself. Now I did this without the motor / trans in the car, so it was a simple fix of removing the trans and going to my neighbohood trans shop. He fixed it right away...no biggie.

I would stay the course, and try going in drive and reverse....if still nothing happens....man......I'd say you busted the pump drive gear.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

When I tightened them togehter, nothing popped, but it may have just busted when I started the motor. If I unbolt the TC from the flywheel can I check anything to see if it's busted? With my luck I probably busted it. We will see...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Misha

If you unbolt the trans from the motor, look into the hole where the TC goes into.....

If you see two broken tabs laying at the bottom.....then guess what.....

It's an eaxy fix...it should take the tranny shop minutes to remove the front cover and replace the pump gear ring and put it all together.

That's what happen to me...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

On lunch I removed the bolts from the TC to the flywheel. I was able to move the TC back on the trans about 1/2" and spin it freely. I also pulled an oil cooler line. There is oil in the line, but not in the oil cooler itself. The line was empty when I installed it.

I also ran the car for about 4 minutes in gear with; no change. I'm thinking the front pump isn't engaged.

Should I use washers to space back the TC on the trans a bit? If the TC wasn't engaging the front pump then that could fix it right?

Thanks for the help!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

One final update; I got off the phone with TCI and their tech guy said he was almost certain I broke the trans. He said I shouldn't shim the TC and to check for oil pressure at the lower oil cooler line, which I know isn't doing anything.

I guess I'll have to pull the trans.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech
Al

You bolted the converter to the flexplate, and then installed the trans to the converter? NOT the way to do it! - but live and learn, as they say. Don't feel bad, we all make mistakes.

You need to remove the transmission - converter and all as a unit. Don't leave the converter bolted to the flexplate when you remove it!

The correct way is to install the converter to the trans and install both as a unit and then bolt the converter to the flexplate.

Installing the converter tot the trans is just a little tricky. There are two sets of splines to engage, plus the pump tangs. Basically, lube the seal first, then slide the snout of the converter sqaurely over the input shat. Rotate the converter back and forth by hand and you'll feel the splines engage (two sets) and then the pump tangs. The pump tangs engage the square u-shaped cutouts on the conveter snout.

Hopefully you didn't break anything - but it's a good bet that you did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Well, the final verdict is in; I jacked up the trans. I've got no oil pressure coming out of it and I hear a clicking noise while turning the TC at some points. That my friends can only mean it's jacked up. I'm having it towed to the trans shop; I'm throwing in the towel. I've spent over 30 hours doing the engine and trans swap and my fun meter is pegged out.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 09:19 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc

Keep your chin up, friend--we've all been there and have learned the hard way. You'll be fine once you drive that '69. File it away as a lesson learned and keep that Camaro rolling! Good luck.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 11:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

well youll be in for a new torque converter and pump for sure.
Never run an empty torque converter!
its definately shot with the pump.
your money would be better spent on getting a new tranny and torque converter.
tranny shops are not cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode