Team Camaro Tech banner

Is a little end play in the water pump bad news?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Steptoe 
#1 ·
I have developed a slight rattle noise from the engine during the last few times I drove the car. It usually goes away as I increase RPM's. Ive checked everything and cant seem to figure where its coming from but I notice a very slight play in the water pump when I move the fan back and forth. Would there usually be a slight play that I never noticed on this or should it be dead solid?

#4 ·
I always tell the customers at Autozone....if it (waterpump) is squeaking or leaking, it is time to get a new one. I wish I could the number of people that think the weep hole is a made up thing. :)

#6 ·
Water pumps end bearings tend to spit the dumby with a little play then usually not long after that and a good rev, leak.
This is caused by over tight side tension of the belt and or fan clutch bearings gone, and out of balance.
I was replacing pumps with good clutch every couple yrs..I even rebuilt one my self with upgraded industrial bearings...(not worth the effort)
Anyway quite Some yrs back I decided to slacken off the fan belt from stock, just enough so when one put the boot in it would sqwell a little.
Presto the water pumps just would not wear out....If I was going out to run a quarter mile or knew I would be hammering it over a long trip of quite a few 100s of miles, I just tighten a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.