68 camaro Windshield Wipers start, stop, blow fuse - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 06, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question 68 camaro Windshield Wipers start, stop, blow fuse

Hey guys. I just started having this issue. I turn the wipers on, they go about 8 inches and blow a fuse. Is there anything in that cowl they can hit on and lock up?
I have replaced the fust about 10 times, same results.
It seems the wipers get to a point and lock. IE, I can not move them by hand back into position

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 06, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Re: 68 camaro Windshield Wipers start, stop, blow fuse

I would start by taking the wipers arms off,see what happens.Then take the wiper motor off, plug back up to the wiring loom and hold it while someone turns it on...that will narrow it down from a motor or wiper load problem.I got a suspicion the problem is in the wiper transmissions or arms that are under the cowl...and thats a bummer if it is....lots of "stuff" to get binded up under there,and not easy to get to.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 06, 08:10 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc

That happened to my '68--wiper motor had a bad place in the armature that shorted out and blew the fuse when I turned it on. Never had any probs from the wiper transmission, though. The good new is it's pretty much gotta be one or the other. Good luck!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 06, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question Re: 68 camaro Windshield Wipers start, stop, blow fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightblue87iroc View Post
That happened to my '68--wiper motor had a bad place in the armature that shorted out and blew the fuse when I turned it on. Never had any probs from the wiper transmission, though. The good new is it's pretty much gotta be one or the other. Good luck!
Thanks.
I remember back in 83 I sold a 68 cause the wipers quit workin. I was fed up with repairin the car. Well this time selling the car is not an option.
Is that motor gonna be plug and play so to speak if I try to take it off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 06, 08:58 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc

The worst deal will be getting it loose from the wiper transmission if the nuts are rusted or stuck. There are 2 nuts on the transmission arm that holds it to the wiper motor's lever and ball. A 1/4" drive ratchet and extension helps. There are 3 bolts holding the motor on and you may have to jiggle the motor a bit to break the firewall gasket loose, but it's no big deal. If the wiper transmission is the prob you'll have to take the cowl panel off, but it's not that complicated either. Funny thing...I got my '68 in 1983. Good luck!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 06, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks!
Im gonna try and pull it all lose tomorrow and see if the motor will work on its own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode