383 stroker in 74 truck, cant get it to run,hard starts and dies!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 06, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Question 383 stroker in 74 truck, cant get it to run,hard starts and dies!!

my brother has a 74 chevy truck. just put in a new 383. it was running good at times and sometimes rough..carb was 20 years old.. installed a new holley 650.. it ran fine for a couple days, and then would just run aweful. could not get it to start and then if you give it full throttle it would finnaly start but soon as you let off it would die.. smells like flooded.. also checked spark. and initial spark would be ok? yellow and not the poppi blue zap..? .. has a new distributor from kragen? also when starting we would turn distributor to get it to start and it wouldnt change much! we are kindof stumped.. is it flooding and not enough good spark? anyone out there with any thoughts.. thanx tad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 06, 09:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: 383 stroker in 74 truck, cant get it to run,hard starts and dies!!

just a guess, but do you have an hei on the new motor?
75 was the first year for hei, 74 would have a resister wire for a points distributor, which must be replaced with a real 12 guage wire to supply enough voltage to run an hei

Welcome to Team Camaro!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 06, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

you know, it does have hei.. and the wire to dist is a very thin one. i was wondering about it. the wire to distributor comes from ignition right. or can it come from any power source that comes on with turning on ignition? also it has been like that for years and has been fine though..

Last edited by bluegrasscat; Sep 27th, 06 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added thought

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 06, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

i might of not of replied right.. sry but it does have hei. and thing gauge wire to dist.. but it also has been like that for years and seemed to work, but it also has been kind of a headache.. does new wire need to go to ign switch or can it go to any hot wire when ign is turned on?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 06, 06:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The factory resister wire is very thin and covered with a white fabric insulation. The fabric tends to turn brown with age. It's pretty easy to spot.

If that's whats there, it needs to be removed or bypassed.

One method is the cut it about 3-6" from the firewall connector and solder on a new 12 guage wire run to the power terminal on the hei.

Another option would be to tie it off and run a new wire. Don't know about 74 tricks, but firstgen camaros have a spare spade terminal on the fusebox labelled IGN.

It's also possible to likely that running with reduced voltage has damaged the monule in the hei. Might want to replae it at the same time, cheap at any auto parts store.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 06, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

thanx so much for your info, i appreciate it alot.. this is a nice page, i am actually going out today to c if we can get it going again.. first thing is replacing that wire... hehe thanx tad
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 06, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
James

If you dont have a voltmeter, investing in one wouldn't hurt. Sometimes the parts stores have cheap little ones in their bins for like $5. A decent one from radioshack will run like $15. My dad has a nice $100 one made by Fluke. If you clamp it onto a spark plug wire, it will give you the engine RPMs. It has a whole crap ton of other features as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 06, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

yeah we got it going this morning. JIM's info about old wiring totaly helped out. and we also found when looking at the dist module that the timing advance spindle ring wasnt moving freely on the new kragen distributor!! but changing out the old this wires for 12 gauge had a total effect on spark output... thanx jim my brother was stoked plus it got rid of some ugly *** wires lol i think i am going to try that mox67!! it seems like it would make it easier.. tnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode