no spark cant get it 2 fire - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 06, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

no spark cant get it 2 fire

i have an 91 camaro with a tpi 350 in it the car has been sitting a long time with a blown tranny . the engine ran ok when parked. Now for some reason. It turns over ok but i cant get it to fire I put a new cap and rotor plus wires ect ... on it still no luck .. I want to have the tranny rebulit now but they need the car to run. I took it to the shop and they told me sence the car has been sitting 4 a cupple of years it might need to have the computer programed again. is this true, they also said i would have to take it to a chevy delear too do this Please help people any help would help THANKS GUYS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 06, 02:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: no spark cant get it 2 fire

The computer is fine.

Since it's been sitting, I'm thinking fuel pump. You can attach a guage to the schrader valve on the fuel rail to check pressure, or just unscrew a line a lil and see if any gas comes out.

At key on, the pump should run for a few seconds to pressurize the rail, then it shuts off until the motor actually starts.

Another thing you could try is take the air tube off the throttle body, blast some starting fluid in the plenum, and give it a crank and see if she fires. That will at least rule out fuel (if she don't fire) and you can start looking at ignition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 06, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks jimm ill give it a shot

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 06, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

ok jim its getting gas its not getting spark like i said i changed plugs cap, rotor, ignition modual, and all plug wires still no spark. what now thanks for the reply
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 06, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you shot ether in it and got no joy?

do ya got a meter or a test light?

On the hei cap, it sticks out on one side, where the wires are. The inner connector is for the module, make sure it's tight. The outer section is 2 separate connectors, the bigger wire is the power, the smaller one is the tach. If the original plastic connectors are still on these wires, they are keyed so they can only go on the right one. If the connectors have been replaced, verify that the wires are in the correct positions. With the key on, verify that you have 12 volts at the big wire. If you don't, you have a problem somewhere back in the harness. If you do, disconnect the tach wire and try to start it.

That doesn't work, take off one plug wire, put a screwdriver in it, and hold it like a 1/4" from something metal, intake tube is good, have someone crank it over, should have a good strong spark. If you don't, go back inside the distributor and go back thru everything you changed. Make sure all the connections are good. The little button that goes in the cap to make contact from the rotor center to the coil is there, right?

If you have good spark, there is something wrong with the efi that unfortunately is beyond my ability to help you with. Someone else here will step in should that be needed, we have people who know those systems.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 06, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

ok we will see what happeneds thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode