Help! '68 alternator bracket with headers? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 06, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Help! '68 alternator bracket with headers?

Help me please!!! i recently replaced my stock manifolds on a 68 327 with hooker headers. however the bottom of the alternator bolted onto the maifold. i thought, fine there must be an aftermarket bracket out there. found one on ebay that said for small block. shape is right, but it is an inch too high! approximate distance from header bolts to alt bracket should (from measuring mainfold) about an inch and a half. this mr. gasket bracket is about 2.5 inches from "header bolt hole to alternator hole". any help on where to find one that would fit, or if anyone has one they would want to part with, or any suggestions in general would be GREATLY apprecitated! THANKS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 06, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Help! '68 alternator bracket with headers?

This is the norm. You will need the two parts, not necessarily chrome, Hooker sells them in mild steel. you will need two 1 inch length header bolts to attach to header, bracket and head.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&Nao=20#rstop

Part number 4050 & 4051. On an earlier page, there is a set-up, P/N SME-2001, will fit also.

And if you use the OE upper belt adjusting bracket, you will have to disconnect it from the water pump bolt. The bracket will tie only to the intake manifold and alternator.

A longer V-belt will be needed also.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 06, 06:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the 4051 is the "standard thingy" to use with headers, tho there are many similar brackets available from other manufacturers.

As Everatt said, you want to use a standard haed 1" long bolt to attach this bracket and the front header tube to the head, do not use the 3/4" long peanut head bolts supplied with the headers.

The 4050 s/b a duplicate of what is allready on your alternator, the factory bracket that used to bolt to the manifold.

You use a pair of 3/8-16 nuts and bolts to attach them together.

Note that while this is considered a "normal setup" for a short water pump, drivers side alternator system with headers, it's not a great one. The 4051 bracket will break, sooner or later, and the whole arrangement is so "flexy" that it may throw belts at high rpm.

There are some other options. If your heads have accessory bolt holes on the front (stock 68 heads do not) you can use the lower bracket for a 68-82 corvette, still available from GM.

If your head is without holes, some of the aftermarket maunfacturers make good bracket sets that bolt to the water pump bolts. I think Alan Grove is one. Just tell them short pump small block, drivers side alt, and they can fix you up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 06, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions!!!! this is about the last thing i need to make my 68 "road worthy"!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 06, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

So, it is possible that the Mr gasket bracket i got is correct? (it looks exactly like the one from summit) my upper alternator bracket just needs moved??? when i tried to mount the alternator to the bracket, the alternator bolt holes were about an inch LOWER than the slots on the bracket...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 06, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Help! '68 alternator bracket with headers?

Yes, but it sounds like you only have one of the two needed brackets. You need the bracket that is on the alternator also !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 06, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68327camaro View Post
my upper alternator bracket just needs moved??? when i tried to mount the alternator to the bracket, the alternator bolt holes were about an inch LOWER than the slots on the bracket...
Yes, the upper w/pump bolt is actually a stud with a hex head. Remove the stud and replace it a standard hex head bolt of the same thread and length.

This will allow the stock upper bracket to be connected only by the intake manifold bolt and the upper bolt of the alternator. The lower bolt hole will be off by 1/2 bolt diameter, hence the reason why it won't fit.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 06, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, everything worked exactly as you all said. not much adjustment on the alternator, but everything works fine. THANKS!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 06, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Your welcome!

'
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 02:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I was able to leave the bottom bolt attached to the water pump, rotate the bracket and re-drill the top hole for the intake manifold. Had to do a little grinding to get it to rotate. Anyway, that raised the adjustment slot enough to accomodate the new position of the alternator and still use both attachment points.

Dave

all gave some
MY SON GAVE ALL

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good to read you've done extra work.

By doing this, you've stiffened the upper alt attachment to reduce vibration and lessened the load on the lower bracket.

'
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 11, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Wanted to update the post...I ordered a set of lower brackets today for headman headers that is supposed to work with the stock upper bracket (small block). Part numbers # HED-20010 and HED-20049. Once I receive them I will install and let you know how it turned out.

Prior to this I was running a "universal" lower header bracket set that did not work well. The alternator would not line up with the upper bracket. I ended up cutting new slots in the bracket to lower the alternator but it did not align very well with the upper water pump pulley and it would twist the belt at about 3000 RPM. Never threw the belt but it is enough that I want to try and get it right.

Hope this helps someone in the future...

1968 Camaro SS 350 convertible, stroked to 383,
PS,PB, PW, PDL, PTL, houndstooth interior, tilt, A/C, am/fm, headrests....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode