Not sure what to exactly call this one! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 06, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Question Not sure what to exactly call this one!

Took the 69 Camaro out for a spin the other day. Drove it about 50 miles total. Really haven't had a chance to get out and enjoy it since I have been working on it so much adding odds and ends since I bought it for my wife in May. Mostly just up the road and testing brakes and timing.

Usually, I just take it into town to go to the store and take it home. After all, it IS my wife's car.

Anyhow, I noticed when I have it at a constant speed of about 45 or 50 mph, I hear a surging sound. Kinda like a small vibration, but not an engine surging. About at a 2 second interval. Like a moan almost. The faster I go, the shorter the interval. Then, the engine/exhaust gets louder and I no longer can here it.

I know I have an engine miss, I replaced the points and condenser and I believe it may be a bad plug. It is not that bad of a miss that the engine will spit or sputter. Just at a constant speed, you can hear it.

I was talking to one of my buddies at work and he said it may be my transmission surging. (Turbo 350)

I have had some problems that I posted earlier a few months ago that I still have not resolved yet. I still have a transmission linkage/shifter problem as well as a kickdown linkage for the transmission. I think I have it set, but there is a huge gap between Neutral and Drive and I have no Low gear. When shifter is in low, my transmission shifts into second. So I think my bushings may be bad in the horseshoe shifter.

So, other than having a lot of little problems, what is this surging/moaning I am hearing.

I replaced the gear oil so I know it isn't low, it isn't like a U-joint or a tire vibration.....

What is it?
Thanks in advance for helping me out on this one.

I know it is hard to diagnose a noise when you actually can't hear it.

Ratbikeharley
Wrenching endlessly on my wife's 1969 Camaro.
Keeping her happy is easier than keeping the car running!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 06, 09:42 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc
Re: Not sure what to exactly call this one!

Can you feel it surge, or is it just an audible sound?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 06, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

audible and just a very,very slight vibration.

Ratbikeharley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 06, 09:23 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc

Could be an axle bearing... Good luck.

"If it breaks, fix it. If you can't fix it, have a beer and be glad it didn't kill you."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 06, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikeharley View Post
I know I have an engine miss, I replaced the points and condenser and I believe it may be a bad plug. It is not that bad of a miss that the engine will spit or sputter. Just at a constant speed, you can hear it.
Fix the secondary ignition problems, eliminate this problem and re-diagnose.

The trans shifter needs bushings and/or adjustment. Feel the detents from the trans as you shift into gear, and the gear selected will be there.

Just my thoughts.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 06, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

I pulled the axles out when I did a 4 wheel disc brake conversion kit. They seemed to be fine. I do know that I have a leak around the rear seal on the rear end. Not sure exactly what it is called techinically. (yoke on rear end where U-joints connect to driveshaft)(Pinion shaft?). Could this seal leaking cause slop in the yoke?

Ratbikeharley
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 06, 12:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

I kinda have the same symptoms but at 65mph. No engine surging but an intermittant moaning and slight vib. Had the driveshaft balanced and universals changed. Brand new Autogear M22. Haven't pulled the axles yet. Feels like its in the rearend. 12 bolt posi.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt

Last edited by madmax87; Oct 18th, 06 at 11:42 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 06, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Kinda hard to tell without hearing but it could be slop in the rear end.I had to replace ring and pinion in mine due to noise that went in and out with speed of the car.Good luck

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 06, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikeharley View Post
I pulled the axles out when I did a 4 wheel disc brake conversion kit. They seemed to be fine. I do know that I have a leak around the rear seal on the rear end. Not sure exactly what it is called techinically. (yoke on rear end where U-joints connect to driveshaft)(Pinion shaft?). Could this seal leaking cause slop in the yoke?
Or better yet,could a bad pinion bearing be the cause of the seal leak and the resonance/noise.Play with the throttle slightly while cruising.This will screw the pinion in and out and help you isolate the concern.You can also pull the driveshaft and see if there is slop in the yoke or roughness while rotated.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 06, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Thats what I was doing when I ran it up to a high rpm. Accelerating and hearing it become faster and faster, then slowing down and hearing it slow down as well. I will try to pull driveshaft tomorrow. I pulled the plugs out.
Man, headers are nice, until you are trying to get the sparkplugs out. What a pain...
Anyhow, all of the plugs were definately fuel fouled to the fullest extent.
I'm going to buy another set tomorrow as well.
What is the difficulty meter on replacing a pinion bearing and seal?
1-10 and 10 being special tools, press, etc,.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Ratbikeharley
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 06, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

All right, I replaced the fuel fouled plugs and started the beast up. Could instantly tell she was running way rich. Warmed her up some and just sat in garage ( with door up of course ).
Well, I couldn't seem to get it to idle correctly. I ended up turning up the idle screw a bit and the rpms I'm guessing was at about 1250 or so. I retarded the ignition some because I knew I had it way too far advanced yet.
I can tell she wanted to die right off. I kept turning up the idle speed to try and get it to even out because the outside temp. was about 35 degrees or so and I thought that maybe it wasn't quite warmed up all the way yet.
When kicking the throttle back a couple good times and revving up the engine, I had no backfire and she seemed to have quite a bit of power, although it was definately rich.
So, I'm guessing a power valve or something. Holley 600cfm.
I have never messed with my holley so I guess I'll try to find some reading material on power valves and buy one to see if that was it.
Do you think it could be a float issue...
ANY help is greatly APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks

Ratbikeharley
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 06, 10:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

If you open your site plugs and gas pours out, then yes it's a float issue or dirt on the needle and seat. Front and back site holes should just dribble out when you shake the car. If you see gas leaking in the carb when turned off, yes it could be PV. Very easy to replace. There will be a number etched in the flat side. Usually a 65. If you replace it, make sure to install the new gasket that goes with the PV. Also pick up some blue bowl gaskets and replace those too. Those are reusable in case you need to open it up again. If you pull the bowl off and your not familiar with a Holley, turn the bowl upside down and the float should be level. If not, loosen the locking screw on top of the nut and adjust the nut and you will see the float move up/down. This is usually a good starting point. Check both bowls. If your floats seem to be set correctly, then you may just have crap on the needle and seat. If you have never removed one, it is located behind the float assy. No big deal removing it, just get a good look at it before you take it apart. You can remove it by taking the screw that sits on top of the nut on the bowl off and then turn the nut CCW and the needle and seat will come up thru the top of the bowl. Handle with care and just hit it with some compressed air. It doesn't take much of a particle to keep it open and flooding your carb. Do some reading on Holley's and this will all make since. Good luck.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode