Seal it or replace it? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 06, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Seal it or replace it?

Hello All,

I had a small vent tube welded in the gas tank for my 1969 Camaro. It's probably a small 3/8" diameter tube and it's probably about and inch and a half long. Some people call this an overflow tube. I asked the guy who did it and the guy who suggested it, if the vent tube would leak. I told him it is going to be a street car. They said it shouldn't leak. I've never done that before so I figured ok fine. Unfortunately it leaks when I go around turns even with the gas tank only at a 1/4 tank. The fuel obviously sloshes around back there and it leaks out of the tube. At first I though it was the sending unit fuel line that is unused. It's not. It's the vent tube. I think this also may be causing air to get in the gas tank. You don't want air in your fuel lines.

I also had a sump welded in the bottom of the gas tank. I should have known better than to have a vent tube welded at the top right corner since my gas cap is a factory OEM vented cap.

I have another gas tank with an even more kick @$$ sump that will help control slosh. They are both brand new still in the box. If I use this new set up, it means that I have to drop the current tank, sending unit etc. Should I just try to seal this vent tube and see what happens?

The tank in it now is brand new as is the sump, gas cap, gas tank straps, etc. The thing has been running pretty good except for when I filled the tank up about a mile from home. Right afterward, it started to backfire a little. Restarting it was an issue in my driveway as there was smoke coming from under the hood/carb like the fuel vaporized. That $u*ked!! I knew it wasn't a fire but it looked like campfire smoke coming from the carb through the back of the hood by my front windshield. This carb is brand new. I know it's not the carb. I think it's the air that gets in the gas tank through the vent tube/overflow tube that I think is the problem.

So---Bottom Line---What would you do?

What would you do?

1) Seal the vent tube????
2) Drop the tank, put another new tank in it (I have the tank) and a different sump (I have the sump)?????.
3) Other???

I need the sump because of the elctric fuel pump and AN braided fuel lines and that's the way it was when I bought it. This car has definite issues, but the fuel system set up up rocks!!

I know the last think anyone wants to do is seal that vent tube with a weld. Welding torches & gas tanks do not mix even a vent tube. Sealing it would be much easier and cheaper. But will any type of seal or cap hold up?

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thanks!!

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Nov 3rd, 06 at 05:44 PM. Reason: easier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 06, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Seal it or replace it?

you could put a short length of hose on it and clamp a bolt in the end, at least for testing.

You could also stuff it full of JB weld, or that epoxy putty they sell for fixing gas tank leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode