68 L78 Drive line vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 06, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

68 L78 Drive line vibration

I get vibration that comes and goes, anywhere from 40 MPH thru 70. Changing loading appears to have an effect, and I have replaced two out of round runout on the OD of the tire wheels. The tires did set in the garage for about 5 years on the car, not jacked up. I've had two different M22s in the car, so I don't think its tranny. U joints are new, but I am going to check drive shaft balance and U joints. I'm thinking it may be in the 12 bolt carrier or pinion bearings. It does have new axle bearings and no axle brinneling.
Need some ideas on this one.
Thanks
Al B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: 68 L78 Drive line vibration

Al, I am having same problem now for a few years. Have replaced pretty much everything but driveshaft, so that's my next call: to Denny's Driveshaft. I had my car on chassis dyno and the guy looked at it and said it appeared too short. I'm using a small-block driveshaft and I then switched to BB engine.

Plus I ran the car up to about 80mph on the dyno and he said he could see the shaft vibrating.

Anyway, here's a document with lots of things to check for vibrations:
http://csgbenefits.org/camarovibration.pdf

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 02:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I was talking to the tech guy at Inland Empire Drive shaft last week. My 69 has had a vibration above 67MPH since new. With two different overdrives. And with two different 'phasings'.
He felt the most important factor was shaft diameter. Larger is better. Second is length. The shaft must have no more than a quarter inch clearance from the differential yoke when pushed forward into the tranny for removal.
One of their shafts is on my list for this winter. Here's their web site. Lots of good scoop; http://www.iedls.com/measure.html
Dave! Great pdf! I saved it. Thanks.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Hey Fred, please post here if a new driveshaft solves your vibration. Glad the pdf helped. I got most of it from a guy here last year...........

Curious that your guy would say larger diameter is better. I woulda thought a larger diameter would only increase your chance of a vibration.......

You've actually had your car since it was new?? damn, heheh

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 02:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Dave---Hee-hee-hee,,,, And I'll be sure to post here. We're doing some 'updating'. The new Hooker super comps should be here in a couple days from Jethot. I just ordered new 3 1/2" into 3" X exhaust this morning from Ram Air. Got their polished stainless mufflers too. (thanks to the guys on this site) Also ordered a new engine stand and movable balance adapter for the cherry picker. (obviously it's payday!) Next up is the shaft and TCI high stall converter and new lift bars. Whew.

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
red

I had this same problem for many years also and i replaced the drive shaft and got rid of 90 % of problem.. I first used the factory driveshaft that has the 22.5 degree twist in it and would vibrate me to death around 80 to 100 mph. I had one built and the right length. along the way i tried different trany's and clutch things , the old shifter rattling while driving. This drove me crazy. A old racer told me about this factory defect. He new exactly that the camaro was the only car that had this drive shaft. This guy builds trucks and fabricating for years and told me that a drive shaft is either in line or 90% out with respect of universals and that is it! ( his words) The funny thing was at that time he new exactly what the drive shaft came out of before i even opened my mouth to talk about this problem
Now this is my opinion of the remaining bit, which is . I have factory motor mounts and crossmember in this car. I now quite of few people with these big block cars with same problem. The engine and the transmission are moved over to the passenger 1 inch and i think this is enought to throw a little vibration into the driveline. What i always wanted to do is put in straight motor mounts and standard sbc crossmember and go for a drive and see what happens.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by red67L78 View Post
........ The engine and the transmission are moved over to the passenger 1 inch and i think this is enought to throw a little vibration into the driveline. What i always wanted to do is put in straight motor mounts and standard sbc crossmember and go for a drive and see what happens.
Yeah, most of us are aware of the engine being shifted to right side a tad. However, I have a buddy with a '69 BB (original) and his car is smooth as glass, and I mean smooootth. No vibration at all, just smooth acceleration. It's a 396 and you'd think it was a jet (turbine) engine in there, it's that smooth, even at high speed..............

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

OK, great! But what's he running from the engine, back?

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 01:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
The car is totally original, as far as I know. He's overhauled (and hopped up) the engine a bit; headers, cam, new heads, that kind of stuff, but the tranny and driveshaft are stock, I believe. It's just unreal how smooth the car is...........

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
red

I thought that in 69 they did not move the engine over for clearance
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech
red

Just checked and 69 does use different frame and motor mounts.
I have only heard of people with 67 and 68 that had this problem?
The crossmember i'am not sure about difference?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 04:40 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by red67L78 View Post
Just checked and 69 does use different frame and motor mounts.......
Are you saying that '69 has engine centered in chassis?

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

The 67.68, & 69 all had the different frame mounts for the BB Engine & all 4 speed cars used a different transmission crossmember, the crossmember is real hard to find. Some people redrill the small block cross member, I used one like that for about a year till I found the crorect BB Crossmember. I paid way to much for the crossmember, but I had to have it to make my car right.

Last edited by johnnyr; Dec 1st, 06 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Mispelling
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 06, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Johny, hope you didn't pay too much. Classic Camaro has 'em on page 853, 80 bucks or less.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode