67 horn - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 06, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Randy

Send a message via MSN to loki4_31
67 horn

i cannot get my horn to work. i have a delux steering wheel with the correct horn contact hardware. if i push the horn button nothing happens. the only way to get the horn to work is if i remove the steering wheel and touch the brass horn contact button that sits in the turn signal can with a hot wire. if i am not mistaken, when i push the horn button, the concave metal plate behind the button should flatten out, press the metal rod wich sits inside a nylon sleeve. that rod pushes on a spring that runs through the steering wheel and pushes on a plastic disc with a metal backing. that disk pushes another rod down on a spring that is touching the wire that runs to the horn. so the metal plate that is flattened out should ground itself on the steering wheel which completes the circuit. but it is not grounding out somewhere. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 06, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Re: 67 horn

I had a lot of issues getting mine to work too.

If you push on the concave metal piece w/out the horn button on, can you get it to ground out and make the horn beep?

You may have an issue with the plastic insulator not allowing the concave plate to ground out and set off the horn. The factory assembly manual has a decent picture of how the whole thing needs to go together

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebuilt it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Almost done
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 05:19 AM
Senior Tech

Just to make things clear. When you say that you touch the brass horn contact button with a "HOT" wire. I think that you mean that you touch the contact button with a wire that is connected to a grounded body part, the horn blows. (This is the way it is supposed to work. Completing the ground should close the horn relay and blow the horn.) The following is a scan from a Corvette AIM. It isn't exactly the same as your Camaro but it should be close.

Even though the contact button (#7 Eyelet) is spring loaded. It really doesn't move at all when you press on your Horn Cap #1. It should always be in contact with a leg of the horn Contact Assembly #5. When you press on the horn cap you should complete a circuit down through the steering wheel hub, down through the steering column shaft, down through the flexible coupling, down through the steering gear, into the frame, and back to ground.

You might try this. Go out under the hood. Connect one end of a wire to a grounded part under hood. Now take the other end of the wire and touch the steering shaft where it exits the steering column. See if the horn works. If it does, that could mean that you do not have electrical continuity through the flexible coupling. Some replacement or rebuilt flexible couplings do not have a ground wire (or a metal mesh screen in the rubber disc) to provide a ground path.

Lastly, this is a pretty good paper on Horn Operation Diagnosis.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ACar13JN06.doc

Hope that this helps.
JIML82

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Randy

thanks for the advice but still no dice. i tried grounding the steering coulmn but it had no effect. the only time the horn will blow if i i run a wire from the battery to the brass contact buttom sitting in the turn signal cam. i do not think it is making contact with the plastic, brass backed plate that parts # 6, 7, and 8 sit in. i assumed the steering colmn was not grounded. but if i touch a wire to the nut that secures the steering wheel in place, and touch the other end to the the contact plate there is a light spark and there is a clicking sound comming from the horn relay. but nothing happens when i run a wire from the battery and touch the contact plate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 06, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Randy

the horn only works when i run a wire from the battery and touch the contact plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode