93' Camaro smoking black, fowling plugs - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

93' Camaro smoking black, fowling plugs

I just bought the 93' Camaro, and the problem is it runs great after putting a new set of plugs in. Then after about a few minutes of idol it begins to smoke black , run rough, then knocks off. I look at the plugs and it is obvious that it is over load with gas. I want to change the ecm or computer but is this jumping the gun. It has a new fuel pump and coil pack. But this is all I know about the car. Motor sounds good until it fowls out. Runs strong but did notice it didn't want to pull in gear, another reason I beleive I should replace ECM. Anyone that has a suggestion I am open to anything at this point, as you know this part is expensive and I don't want to jump the gun if it could be something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: 93' Camaro smoking black, fowling plugs

you need to check codes in your computer. get a manual for your car if you want to fix it yourself, it will be your best tool. if it is doing it from the get go, meaning it is running rich all the time even cold, even hot, and it runs good until it fouls the new plugs out, then i'd check for leaky injectors. is it hard to start cold? does it smoke black when driving or only at idle? the check engine light should be on, mabye even flashing. there has to be codes in there to help you. look under the dashboard. you'll see a black connector bolted to the trim. this is where you read codes from. there will be 12 pinholes. the last two on the top right of the conector is where you need to look. take a piece of wire and jump these two terminals. turn the key on and your check engine light will flash the codes. this is why it is necessary to have the book. it will define the codes for you as well as give you an illustrated description as to what i am talking about. just a cheap haynes manual will do. get back with us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode