no idea what is wrong - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Trever

no idea what is wrong

i have a 92 camaro and i got a tune port injection in it from an 86 trans am. it is a 350 with a cam and bigger injecters. from day 1 it has given me a lot of problems. you can drive it fine but when it hits wide open throttle it pops through the exhoust and the intake around 3000- 3500 rpm but when it is is park it will rev up just fine at wot . i took it to dyno tune and he could not figure it out. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech

Re: no idea what is wrong

The popping could be a lean condition or it could be an ignition timing problem. I can imagine a degraded spark at high engine speeds due to a bad coil, bad reluctor, module etc. Ignition problems often show their ugly head on a loaded motor that otherwise would run fine.

I can also imagine a vacuum leak causing this. Does this car have a MAF? If so, is the MAF mounted on the throttle body or is there a length of ducting between the MAF and the throttle body? Look in those places for a leak.

Does the car loose power when it pops? Could a bad diverter valve be pumping air into the cat or exhaust manifolds at high engine speeds? If so, it could explain exhaust backfire at least. Also, it probably would lead to a very hot cat / O2 sensor.

Did you experience the backfire on the dyno?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 07:12 PM
Jimmy

I've heard that too big of a cam will throw off a tune port setup, due to the knock sensor retarding the timing due to the aggressive idle.

90 RS 9.8:1 360 CI SBC, 700-R4, 3.42 Posi, Holley 650 DP, Performer EPS intake, Accel Ignition

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Trever

ya it lost 150-200 horse on the dyno when it would backfire and it hase headers and no cat but it dose have the 02 sensor on the end of the header i dont know if that would get the 02 sensor to hot?

Last edited by rscamaro92; Nov 28th, 06 at 11:09 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech

I do know that the O2 sensor location will have a huge impact on it's reading. On my buds TPI motor, he installed headers and relocated the O2 sensor from just below the exhaust manifold flange to the bung in the header collector. His mixture values were out to lunch - confirmed with a wide band O2 sensor. In his case, he installed a heated O2 sensor and all was well.

I tell you this not because I think it will fix your problem, but it is a possible cause. Can your dyno operator connect a wide band O2 sensor up to your motor to determine where your mixture is?

The other side of things is that the O2 sensor doesn't play a significant role at WOT.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Trever

ya he can i will see if will do that

Last edited by rscamaro92; Nov 29th, 06 at 10:58 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 06, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Trever

i was told today that my vaules could be set wrong? i dont think it would cause this

1992 camaro rs 238hp 340tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode