starting engine after 7 months - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

starting engine after 7 months

Hi TC, I need any suggestion for starting my '69 rs after sitting for 7 months. After a lenghty repair due to family commitments, i'm finally ready to give it a shot. I don't have a primer to get the engine all oiled up, but I was thinking of removing the coil wire to the distributor and crank the engine a few times. Do you recommend me doing this or should I just go for it and hopefully the engine starts? I just need to confirm. Thanks again in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Re: starting engine after 7 months

I would change the oil and filter and pull the coil wire and turn it over to prime the pump.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Seven months seems like a long time when you miss your car. If put away properly you wouldn't be worried... but if it was just shut down then I have a couple of extra suggestions...
Remove the plugs and spray in wd40... oily and volitile enough to ignite fast. I agree to change the oil.... when you put in the new filter fill it up full before spinning it on. Priming the engine by spinning is good but adds gas.... so I'd only do that if I oiled up the cylinders first... if you are really ambitious you disconnect the fuel line.. and plug it... then spin the engine with the coil wire off.... then reconnect and fire it up. The bad gas in the bowl will be gone.

If you have a real rich idle afterward then you can expect the needle and seat to be gummy from old gas left in the carb... then go from there.

Good luck

Gary 9t4Z
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 06:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I would not crank the motor over to try to get the oil moving. I would spray some oil in the cylinders, tho I'd use marvell mystery oil, not WD-40.

Then just crank her over and let her fire. You'll get the oil moving quickest with the motor running at a fast idle, much quicker than the starter motor would. Starting is the hardest thing on an engine, don't drag it out.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 06, 10:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Then just crank her over and let her fire. You'll get the oil moving quickest with the motor running at a fast idle, much quicker than the starter motor would. Starting is the hardest thing on an engine, don't drag it out.

I have cars that sit a lot longer than that, And i've never had any issues with just fireing them up. Jim is right, just light it up quick and get the oil flowing. Shouldnt have any problems.

bob
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 06, 10:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Here's one for you guys! My Camaro was in the garage, un-started, for 3 and half years until 2003. (I was rebuilding my sailboat) It had half a tank of gas. I did the usual stuff but I pulled the plugs to crank it and build pressure. Once I got it I hooked up everything. Including the new batteries and high torque mini starter. I DIDN'T CHANGE THE FUEL. Guess what! Fired INSTANTLY and ran perfectly!
Then I had to wash the teak dust off of it.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 06, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm on my way to pick up some marvell mystery oil and hopefully i'll be able to work on the car tomorrow. I'll let you all know of the outcome. Thanks again. Great looking car Fred.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 06, 03:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Thanks 69!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 06, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Paul

Hi guys, it worked. All I added was the Marvell Mystery Oil and it fired right up. We'll not exactly, this might be another issue, but I was not getting fuel to the Carb. This is the second time I needed to prime the fuel line after my mechanical fuel pump by using my thumb and cranking the motor until gas flowed out. Is this an indication that my pump is going or is it something in the tank? Thanks again in getting my motor running - boy it sounds good.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 06, 05:44 PM
Team Member
John

My cars have sat for 6-7 months every winter for 40+ years (in the garage), and all I do in the spring is fill the float bowl with a syringe through the bowl vent tube and they start instantly. I change the oil a day or two before I put them up for the winter, pump up the tires, and put a Battery Tender on them once a month during the winter for a day to keep the charge level up, and never start them during storage (unless I'm going to drive them at least ten miles, to get the oil good and hot).

JohnZ
CRG
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 06, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
My cars have sat for 6-7 months every winter for 40+ years (in the garage), and all I do in the spring is fill the float bowl with a syringe through the bowl vent tube and they start instantly. I change the oil a day or two before I put them up for the winter, pump up the tires, and put a Battery Tender on them once a month during the winter for a day to keep the charge level up, and never start them during storage (unless I'm going to drive them at least ten miles, to get the oil good and hot).
John, do you put any fuel stablizer in your tank before you store your car away for the winter months?

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 06, 03:52 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dave View Post
John, do you put any fuel stablizer in your tank before you store your car away for the winter months?
Nope, not necessary for garaged winter storage - I just fill the tank first to minimize the airspace in the tank where condensation can form. Today's gas is very stable up to a year or so, and the colder it is, the less it deteriorates.

JohnZ
CRG
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 06, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Nope, not necessary for garaged winter storage - I just fill the tank first to minimize the airspace in the tank where condensation can form. Today's gas is very stable up to a year or so, and the colder it is, the less it deteriorates.
Thanks, Good advice!

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode