Where to Start? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 06, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Where to Start?

I'm having problems with my rear disc brakes on the 86 IROC. The fronts work great. I have a low pedal......no air, just a malfunction of sort with the rear brakes not grabbing the discs. It is apparent that both sides are not working by the formation of rust on both discs. I have a few things that come to mind.....

1. Calipers are frozen on both sides....(maybe a coincidence).

2. A problem with the master

3. A problem with the master causing the rear calipers to fail.

I haven't been able to pull the wheels yet to get a first hand look....but does anybody want to take a stab at this......maybe having a similar problem with the rear disc brakes? The car is going to have to sit for a few days before I can get to it. Any guesses???

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Camaro buds until the end!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 06, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff Ruempel

Re: Where to Start?

I'd try and bleed just the rear. If no fluid squirts out after you step on the pedal a few times to pressurize the line, then chances are your MS is at fault. But do this 3-5 times to make sure there isn't any air in the line. The more times you do this, the harder the pedal should get, even if only air is coming out.

Quote:
If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.
- John Wayne
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 06, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech

It sounds like you could have a leak in the rear, are you sure there is no air in the lines? Both calipers going at the same time is pretty rare unless you've had to hit the brakes hard enough that I'm sure you'd remember. Remember that the master cylinder is two separate chambers, front and rear; this is so that if one fails, at least you have the other and they operate more or less independently. I would follow the brake lines, and look for any wet spots. If you really can't trace it to a brake line, try taking the rear wheels off and cleaning the brakes and lubing the sliders, adjusting if necessary... sometimes rears tend to freeze up abit.

If neither of these help, check the master cylinder... or possibly the proportioning valve.

Dave
1979 z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 06, 04:43 AM
Team Member

I'm not exactly sure about '86, however many GM rear calipers require constant use of the parking brake to maintain adjustment. You may simply need to adjust the brakes.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 06, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys for the replies.....I will check for leaks and try to bleed the system of air (if any). The master hasn't lost any fluid and nor did I add any. I think Mat might be right. The parking brake has to be applied constantly to adjust the rear brakes. The parking brake quit working about a year ago. I tried to ratchet the parking brake by putting my foot on the brake pedal and working the parking brake up and down to no avail. Something froze up and I have the feeling that I am going to have to replace both rear calipers anyway. I guess I am going to have to buy the wife some new calipers for Christmas!!!

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 06, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
jerry

Another thing you might want to check is that you're getting fluid to the calipers. I had a problem with a front caliper not working on my 85 T/A so I replaced it only to find out it was the brake hose, seems when they go bad they collaspe on the inside and don't let fluid go through even though they look fine on the outside. If this happened to the rear hose it would keep both rears from working
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 06, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech
William

The '80s GM rear disc design was just plain bad. I had an '85 Pontiac STE with the same problem and we ended up replacing both rear calipers-when you try to retract the pistons for new pads they will not budge. Also if the pb wasn't regularly used the cables may seize and also require replacement.

Your call as to whether an '86 IROC is worth the expense.

William

CRG
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 07, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Just an update..... I adjusted the equalizer for the parking brake and it did solve the problem. Both rear calipers are fine and the brake pedal is where it is suppose to be. The problem was just a simple adjustment. Thanks again for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode