1967 Camaro Tail Lights wont come on but Blinkers Work " Updated " - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

1967 Camaro Tail Lights wont come on but Blinkers Work " Updated "

Hey guys I hope Im putting this in the right section . I had to have my friend follow me home yesterday because my rear tail light on my 67 RS do not want to come on ... When you pull the light switch the front hide a ways work fine front blinkers work fine .. Rear tail lights do not come on . But they do blink according to my friend who was following me home yesterday.

Is there anything I can check for .. I already looked for a bad fuse but came up short . I bought this car in Sept .. and was stored at my friends house until last night when it was time to bring her home . Any help would be great ... Oh and my Reverse lights work aswell ......... its just my break lights that do not want to work ..nor come on when light switch is pulled.

Thanks for your time
Rob.

Last edited by RobSS1113; Dec 29th, 06 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 08:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: 1967 Camaro Tail Lights wont come on but Blinkers Work

If all wiring checks good....pull the fuse panel out, take some needle nose pliers and pull out the connections for the fuse from behind the fuse panel and clean them with a rattail file and some wd-40 or rust buster. GARAUNTEED to fix the prob.
the problem was the rusty connections on my camaro.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

sounds like a ground in the trunk is loose etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech

All good suggestions. Take a test light and trace down the problem starting at the fuse box working your way to the rear tail lights. Double check the ground wires on the housings.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Adam

Ground wires near the housings in the rear of the trunk was the fix for mine a while back. Good luck!

67 RS/SS "YELR67"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 01:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Rob,
After checking grounds etc, I would start with the brake light switch and see if its being released enough to trigger the lights on. You can test this with a test light if you like to insure power is reaching it. Post back and we will go from there....

Kev
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

hey Guys thanks for the tips .. will get on that right now .. and will post if she is fixed or not ... Cant wait to get the lights working ... shes all tagged and still inspected .. all tags are current and now shes under my name .. cant wait to take her out on the streets , but dont want to get busted by a Ford lovin Cop if you know what I mean ..........

P.s. And one more thing.. you could say its troubleshot .. I know these years have the lap belts and no shoulder belts . I've been pulled over by some dumb non auto knowing cops before ............ Am I gonna have trouble cruising in this car showing to everyone that I dont have a shoulder belt strap on me . hints meaning being pulled over alot ???

thanks for your time guys .

Rob.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
Adam

When cops see me in mine they are more busy looking at the car than to see if I have a shoulder strap

But, I think they will assume you have a lap belt as long as most of the interior is stock.

67 RS/SS "YELR67"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Shoulder belts did not appear until 1968.

Blinker and stop lights use the same filament. Tail lights are there own filament. Brown wire at socket(?) is taillight.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 02:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

i gotta 68, no shoulder belts. but They are normally stuffed above the doors...mine arent

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

Re: 1967 Camaro Tail Lights wont come on but Blinkers Work " Updated "

Hey Guys I fixed the problem well actually you guys did .... Thanks I dont know who was the winner but I cleaned out the ground .. the one that is right behind the trunck lock and I messed with the brake switch behind the pedal and then I decided to turn on the car and pull the lights and what do you know .................... " And then there was Light !! " Thanks alot guys .. I do have one bulb on the far end on the passenger side that is very bright like the breaklight is being applied but it only does that as soon as you stick the socket light back in the housing . once it makes contact with the metal ground it gets Bright. Any clues . And I took this pic of the fuse box .......... I have all power on all of them but the one that is missing the fuse .. I took the fuse off so you can see which one Im talking about and yes the fuse is good. I dont have any instrument lights that work .. just my green blinker arrows turn on when I click the blinkers. Could it be the fuse panel that has no power to it . Anyone know what that section of the fuse panel does ???

Thanks
Rob.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 06, 05:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

The empty spot in that fuse panel is for Instrument Lights as you stated. To be honest, you should remove all fuses, wire brush the terminals clean then put the fuses back in. As far as the back light, the bulb could be wrong (1156 instead of an 1157) and/or its reversed in the socket. Pull the bulb our spin it 90* and put it back in.

Kev
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 06, 08:29 AM
Retired
Jim

Also use a star washer on your trunk ground, that might brighten up the weak bulb you see.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 06, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robert

All problems now Solved " case closed " thank you everyone for your help

Rob.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

still i would clean up the fuse panel judging by how much rust is there.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode