1997 Z-28 Camaro won't start! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 07, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

1997 Z-28 Camaro won't start!

I put a 58mm BBK throttle body and a cold air intake. I noticed I had a check engine light come on and found out it was multiple cylinder misfire. So I changed the distributor and the wires and the spark plug. It started but ran irregular and idle was usually high. So I changed the TPI and the IAC motor, but still no changes were noticed. I even repositioned the TPI to the right setting since the throttle body was an aftermarket part. One day I was able to start the car and I took it around the neighborhood and opened her up on the main street where I live. She hesitated for a little and then sputtered and just died. I towed the car back home and tried to see what the problem was. I checked the fuel pressure and I'm getting 42psi. Checked the spark and I'm getting some spark to all the cylinders. But now the car won't start at all. She just turns and turns but doesn't want to start. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 07, 09:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: 1997 Z-28 Camaro won't start!

Did you reconnect the MAF sensor on the intake. My buddy had one go bad on his 97 SS and the car wouldn't start. Ran like crap just before it died.
I was just talking to him, try disconnecting the MAF sensor and see if the car will start. It should run off the MAP sensor but not sure for how many startups.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt

Last edited by madmax87; Jan 1st, 07 at 09:29 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 07, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I tried the MAF sensor but it wasn't the problem. Although the line wasn't connected. I tried starting it with it on and off, but same results just cranking over and over. Any other ideas? Please help.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 03:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Talking with a couple of friends and since your getting spark and gas, they suggested putting the original TBI back on and see if car starts.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I'll give that a try. Thanks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

The original TBI didn't do anything different. I'm in a real jam. Maybe time for car doc. It seems like I'm not getting gas to the engine, but I'm getting 42 psi to the fuel rail. Could there be a problem with the fuel injectors? Is there a way to check them? Please help!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 07, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidshere View Post
The original TBI didn't do anything different. I'm in a real jam. Maybe time for car doc. It seems like I'm not getting gas to the engine, but I'm getting 42 psi to the fuel rail. Could there be a problem with the fuel injectors? Is there a way to check them? Please help!
To answer your question.Yes there could be a problem with the injectors.All eight at one time not likely.You may be best served to purchase a noid light that plugs into the injector connector and flashes when the engine is cranked.This will test the power side and the pcm,s ability to ground the injector.Bear in mind that if the coolant temp sensor is skewed high or low the pcm will increase or decrease pulse width accordingly.The A/F ratio would be way off causing stalling and no restart like you describe.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 07, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Is there a way to check the cooling temp sensor? Or is it just easier to just purchase another one to replace it? Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 07, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech

I don't want to sound like an *^% here but you will be better off taking the car to a competent technician and having them figure it out instead of spending money swapping unneeded parts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 07, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

I have the same feeling. LOL. Thanks for the advice.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 07, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidshere View Post
Is there a way to check the cooling temp sensor? Or is it just easier to just purchase another one to replace it? Thanks for the info.
You can ohm test the coolant sensor and compare it to values vs ambient as shown in a GM service manual or you can view the parameter with a bi-directional scan tool.Either method is acceptable but the scan reading will allow you to monitor the sensors ability to respond to engine warm up.On a cold start the ECT temp should be within 1 or 2 degrees of IAT for comparison.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll test the coolant sensor, and if that isn't the problem I'm bringing it to the neighborhood mechanic. Thanks for all your inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode