'69 Camaro wont crank or anything. Battery ok. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Send a message via AIM to SinCityRSZ28
'69 Camaro wont crank or anything. Battery ok.

Ok, so here's the scenario. This Camaro has been running flawlessly for the past few months and I parked it a month ago before I went on a vacation. Before I left, I disconnected the - battery cable and put it in a spot where it was secure and wasn't touching anything so the battery wouldn't die on me. It remained un-touched for the entire time I was gone. I came back, put the battery cable back on and it sat for another few days un-touched. I went to drive it this morning and I turned the key to start it and nothing happened. I pushed it out of the garage and proceeded to jump start it with another car and still, not even a cilck from the car. Its not even trying to do anything. The battery tested ok, the fuses are all still in tact and all of the lights and everything else works. Since it was running fine one day then sat un-touched for a while I am thinking the only thing that could possibly go wrong would be either a blown fuse from when I put the battery cable back on or a bad starter, but the fuses are all fine. Can a starter just die like that or does it usually gradually go out? What else could it be? It is supposed to go to a shop tomorrow for some un-related goodies, but I would rather not pay them to diagnose this as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS Z/28
Restored to Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 05:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: '69 Camaro wont crank or anything. Battery ok.

Can you get under there and jump the solenoid? Sounds like you've got a bad connection from the ignition switch.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

As stated, check all your connections. Check to see if you are getting power to the starter solenoid. When you removed the battery cable, it's possible that something else came loose. Check the junction block connection near the battery.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 06:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Sin City,

I just went through the same thing. I took the battery completely out of my car (also a 1969) as I needed to replace the radiator and other things. I put the battery in and zippo, nada, nothing!!. I have a portable charger I bought from Sears a few months ago and it showed ok. I checked the ground connection and that was ok. I had to loosen the ground & re-tighten to remove the ground wire for the electric fan that was on there. It won't work with this new radiator.

I checked my fuses. They looked ok. I pulled the ignition fuse because I wasn't sure, but I broke it in the process and put a new one in. God, do I hate the glass fuses. The 2 blade fuses are so much better!!. Then I started to go nuts, I'm like what can it be. I tugged on the negative batter cable and at that second I saw the ground from the negative cable to the frame slightly move, at that precise moment my headlights came on and I was like whew!! It was a ground I thought was tight.

Could it be a starter, yes it could be. Do you hear a click? Turn on your headlights. Do they dim all the way down when cranking? Double check your ground connections. Don't just look at them or try to tighten them, but tug on them by hand.

The Sears DieHard Battery Charger & Engine Starter Part # 2817226 for me was a God send. If all else fails I would recommend buying one of these. For the money you pay the repairshop to diagnose this problem, you can do it yourself because this thing will also tell you what % your battery is charged to.

Like CamaroDave said, check the power to the starter solenoid.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff Ruempel

You can't just look at a glass fuse to see if it is OK. I've seen fuses of this type blow the filament just inside the metal cap so they appear OK, but check it with a DMM to make sure. A loose ground seems more likely, though.

Quote:
If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.
- John Wayne
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

there are no fuses in the starting circuit, nada, zippo, not a one. No fusible links either, other than the main one that supplies power to the fusebox.

My guess is neutral safety switch (assuming it's an automatic trans)
Just for fun, grab the "ring" at the bas of the steering column, just above the dash, turn it clockwise, then back counter clockwise, and try to start it.

If it still won't crank, download the starting circuit schematic, look in the electrical basics sticky, you'll find it. PM me for the password. Get a meter and dos ome troubleshooting.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Side Goons & Hitmen View Post
Sin City,

I just went through the same thing. I took the battery completely out of my car (also a 1969) as I needed to replace the radiator and other things. I put the battery in and zippo, nada, nothing!!. I have a portable charger I bought from Sears a few months ago and it showed ok. I checked the ground connection and that was ok. I had to loosen the ground & re-tighten to remove the ground wire for the electric fan that was on there. It won't work with this new radiator.

I checked my fuses. They looked ok. I pulled the ignition fuse because I wasn't sure, but I broke it in the process and put a new one in. God, do I hate the glass fuses. The 2 blade fuses are so much better!!. Then I started to go nuts, I'm like what can it be. I tugged on the negative batter cable and at that second I saw the ground from the negative cable to the frame slightly move, at that precise moment my headlights came on and I was like whew!! It was a ground I thought was tight.

Could it be a starter, yes it could be. Do you hear a click? Turn on your headlights. Do they dim all the way down when cranking? Double check your ground connections. Don't just look at them or try to tighten them, but tug on them by hand.

The Sears DieHard Battery Charger & Engine Starter Part # 2817226 for me was a God send. If all else fails I would recommend buying one of these. For the money you pay the repairshop to diagnose this problem, you can do it yourself because this thing will also tell you what % your battery is charged to.

Like CamaroDave said, check the power to the starter solenoid.
The headlights and all else are fine. I even switched the batter for the one out of my daily driver and its the same thing. No click no nothing at all.

Restored to Stock
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
there are no fuses in the starting circuit, nada, zippo, not a one. No fusible links either, other than the main one that supplies power to the fusebox.

My guess is neutral safety switch (assuming it's an automatic trans)
Just for fun, grab the "ring" at the bas of the steering column, just above the dash, turn it clockwise, then back counter clockwise, and try to start it.

If it still won't crank, download the starting circuit schematic, look in the electrical basics sticky, you'll find it. PM me for the password. Get a meter and dos ome troubleshooting.
Its a manual trans so its not the neutral safety switch, although that was the culprit when I had a similar problem with my '70 Chevelle. I will try the ring thing and also check my grounds again. Thanks everybody!

Restored to Stock
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 09:54 PM
Tech Team
Call me Jim

Send a message via AIM to brightblue87iroc

I've been through this with my '68--it was the dang junction block on the radiator support. Good luck!

"If it breaks, fix it. If you can't fix it, have a beer and be glad it didn't kill you."
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 02:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Jim..
Jump the started solenoid with a screwdriver to see if that is working. It could be as others said a bad solenoid or starter. Another thing is to have someone turn the key to start while you tap the starter with a small hammer. First, BE SURE that the car in not in gear or in neutral and the wheels are chocked. We do not need the car taking off on you.

Kev
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If the car was converted from auto to manual, the "ring" could still be the problem.
I "think" factory stick shift 69's had a safety switch on the clutch pedal.

The wires you are looking for are purple, and big, 12 gauge.

Hitting the starter with a screwdriver is a good test, but be VERY careful. The screwdriver needs to touch both the center lug (where the big battery cable connects) and the small inner stud (where the purple wire is) on the solenoid at the same time. It WILL make a big spark, don't jump. Don't let the screwdriver touch the block or headers or anything else.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Thanks again fellas. More stuff to try before she goes in. Its a numbers matching 4 speed, so its not the ring. The grounds are fine, and the junction box appears to be fine as well. Have to get it up in the air and try the rest of the stuff. I will let you guys know the outcome.

Restored to Stock
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 12:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Jim was right.
Check to make sure your clutch safety switch didn't come loose.
Or, is it even hooked up? common for those to be disconnected.

The little lever on the switch should be pushed all the way back if it was disconected.
If it is still there, the rod is held on by a tiny little c-clip, and it is easy to kick loose by accident.

You will see a little rod that goes from the clutch, to the switch - It's mounted on the lower firewall.
If all this stuff is not there, then the switch has "moved" into the safety position.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech

hook up a test light to the small wire on the solenoid an see if you are getting juice when you turn it to the "start" position. the easy way to do this if you are working alone is to clip the wire in the solenoid stud, and jam the pokey part of the light into the - terminal at the battery so you can see it from the seat as you turn the key.
if not, try it at the firewall, then the safety switch, etc.
work your way backwards from the solenoid.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
mike

my 69 does the same thing once in a while. if i jump the solenoid as said above, its fine for a while. even pop starting it works. i have narrowed it down to a loose harness connection on the column because if i reach under there and move the wires around, it "fixes" the problem.

Mike, supposedly 69 350 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode