Need Engine help PLZ - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 07, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Doug

Need Engine help PLZ

My 94 camaro v6 is bucking shuttering bad when i give it gas while in park and in gear. I just did a tune up in august plugs wires fuel air filters trans fluid is good oil is good spark wires look good took off air filter not the problem put fuel injector cleaner in still doing it

The CAR is a 1994 CAMARO with 28000 miles on it yes (TWINTY THOUSAND) V6 oil changes ever 2 months all orginal but kn air filter and Dua exhaust from cat back normal mait item whelels brack ext .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 07, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: Need Engine help PLZ

Was the car running good after the tune up and then started running bad? If so, I would check and see if any of the sensors came unplugged, especially on the air intake.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 07, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech

check all the plug wires. with only 6 cylinder, if you get one that isn't firing, it will make a hell of a difference in how it runs.
of course, a coil could have gone bad, as well, which would take out 2 cylinders, and make it run really bad. if you can track down which cylinders aren't firing, and if you have 2 cylinders that use the same coil that aren't firing, then replace that coil.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 07, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yeah, I'm with novaderrik. I think it's an ignition issue. Here's an easy way to check:

Start the engine and rev it up (you may need a buddy in the car), get it revving until you notice the skipping. Now, as it's skipping (shuddering) pull off one plug wire at a time. They make a special tool to do this so you can avoid getting shocked. Alternatively, you can use the sharp end of a test light and pierce the shock boot to short out the wire.

What you're looking for is: difference (or no difference) in engine sound as you disconnect (or short) the plug wire. If you disconnect a plug wire and the engine is running much rougher, then you know that cylinder is working. If you disconnect a plug wire and there is NO difference in engine sound, then that cylinder is NOT working.

If you find a cylinder that's not working, take off the plug wire, insert an old spark plug into the boot and lay the plug against the engine metal, then start engine and see if you have spark.

This will give you an idea of where to start looking for the problem.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 07, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
mike

could also be a vacuum leak over a specific cyl...but, probably ignition...do the plug wire thing to find the dead cyl, and check the plug on that cyl... if its crapped up, change all the plugs, but if not, look for a vac leak..i`ve seen alot of this where i did a tuneup, and 8-12 mos later, a plug is fouled...i noticed it every time they reformulated the fuel in my area...first mtbe, then ethanol...the plug would have a white powder on it,,,possibly from o2 sensor used to one formulation, and then changing...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 07, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
bill

hhmmmm you mentioned a k&m air filter? when did you install it. and also did you put oil in it as most use oil? why i say this is cause those filters you put oil in them and to much oil goes into the mass air flow sensor and they go crazy and gives bad readings to the computer. take the mass sensor out and clean it out with carb cleaner and put it back should run fine take for 5 mile drive since computer needs to relearn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode