Trouble with my 79' - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 07, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Kyle

Question Trouble with my 79'

I bought a 79 Z28 a few days ago, she has a 350 V8 out of a chevy racin truck & a turbo 350 auto tranny from the same truck. ... she ran rough when i got her so i changed her plugs & wires & i gaped the plugs to specks.. when i checked the old plugs most of them were gapped between .050 & .060, so they wernt even the same, but when i went to start her up she'll crank over but she wont start, & the plugs arent getting the spark they should, so i changed the distributer cap, rotor & coil & she still wont start, the manual tells me to gap them at .045 which i did... please help me figure out my problems if you've herd of this before.. & please feel free to e-mail me to..

[email protected]

thanks!!

Last edited by kb2388; Jan 23rd, 07 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Trouble with my 79'

it ran before you tuned it up???
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech

what's a Chevy racin truck?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Kyle

yes it ran before i tuned it up , i kept the wires on the same plugs & spot on the cap & still nothing, & im not sure on the truck it came out of due to a previous owner. It was a truck that he had though whitch he raced with.. or so thats what the guy tells me his friend did with the truck..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Choke plate closed?
Pump gas pedal a couple times before starting and during the cranking mode.

If previous owner has been racin it, the piston rings are probably worn and engine is not creating any starting vacuum, hence, the extra pumps of fuel needed to start.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech

what kind of "racin" truck are we talkin here? soem more info would be nice.
why was this motor taken out of this truck? i bet it needs some work, so a better motor was built.
but check the basics- do all the cylinders have good compression? are all the valves moving when you crank it? how's the spark?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Kyle

The choke is closed, & when i try pumping gas & then cranking it, it sounds as if the engine wants to die, it has one hell of a time to try to just crank of like 3 times,... the truck is un known but it was taken out of the truck due to a car accident, i guess on the way driven it home it got T-Boned on the drives side behind the door & on the bed, but the owner of the truck just tottaled the truck out & took the engine & tranny.. the guy i bought the car from said his friend ( the one with the truck ) had raced it not even 5 times before the accident. but he cant get a hold of his friend to find out what kind of truck it is
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2388 View Post
The choke is closed, & when i try pumping gas & then cranking it, it sounds as if the engine wants to die, it has one hell of a time to try to just crank of like 3 times
Bad battery, low charge, too small of cables, min 1 wire gauge, dirty posts/clamps, timing advanced too far. Some things come to mind.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 07, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Kyle

Talking Re: Trouble with my 79'

thanks guy for all your info, i got it started, instead of moving the spark plugs on the distributer cap counter clock wise i moved them clock wise & she firerd right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode