Engine stalls then hard start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Engine stalls then hard start

Hi, I have a '97 v6 3800 engine and lately it has been stalling after the engine warms up. people have said it was the fuel pump then i drop about 800 bucks on replacing itand its still doing it. i took the ignition control got that tested at auto zone and it had passed 3 times. i spent about $55 to have a guy tell me he has no idea what the heck is wrong with it. i can't drive my car on long trips. the other day i had turned onthe defrost and it didn't die at all (maybe i just didn't drive it long enough to let it die) but i had driven it long that day and where it would normally die it didn't. it has died while: braking, reving up (at 4000 rpm), coasting down the road (at about 1000) rpm. any help would be apreciative.

Beavis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 11:50 PM
Tech Team
KEN

Re: Engine stalls then hard start

C/P If you have a fuel injected car and you are experiencing stalling, hunting or fast idle problems one thing you need to check is the idle control system. These systems vary from car to car but there are basically two types. The first uses a small idle speed control servo motor which is driven by the computer. When the throttle is released and the rpms begin to drop this small motor moves a portion of the throttle linkage (gas pedal linkage) to advance the throttle so that the engine doesn't stall - sort of like you depressing the gas very slightly. As the engine rpm approaches the idle speed the computer measures the rpm and moves this small motor to adjust the speed to a set value stored in the computer's memory. If this motor fails to respond to the computer then the engine will either stall or race. If the motor responds slowly then the engine will hunt for the correct idle speed and will alternately race and approach stalling speed. Check the operation of the motor to see if it is moving the linkage.

The second type of control is the idle air control valve. Its job is to control the idle speed of the engine by allowing a small amount of air to get around a closed throttle plate. The system is similar in that the computer is the controlling factor however here the computer sends signals to a small motor that moves a pintle valve which allows air to get into the engine and thus increase the idle speed. This system gets gunked up and causes the pintle valve to stick in one place or to move slowly. The effect is the same as above, the engine stays at one rpm or it stalls when you let your foot off the gas. Remove the idle control system and soak it in a good strong carburetor cleaner to clean the gunk from the pintle shaft.

One other type of IAC system moves a pintle valve by means of engine vacuum. There is a vacuum diaphragm instead of the small motor which moves a pintle valve. Sometimes the vacuum diaphragm fails and sometimes the vacuum passages get clogged up. Remove the valve and check it out.

1967 CAMARO BLOWN (671) 355 th 400 350
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 07, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech
mike

i think this problem is more along the lines of a maf sensor or map sensor, depending on the system...i dont know about the 97 3800 off the top of my head, but the earlier(early to mid 90`s) 3800 had a maf sensor that would get flaky when it got hot, causing stalling, erratic idle,surging and so on...whats worse is it wouldnt call a check engine light, because the sensor wasnt a complete failure...your car is obd2 so you should be able to get it scanned at autozone if the check engine IS on... keep us posted...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 07, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE

I had taken it to the dealership in hopes of them figuring out what is wrong they said battery and connectors corroded so they fixed it. 400 miles later it stalls out again as if they hadn't fixed it. then i took it back and they said the idler control motor was bad. fixed it and lately it started again but last night i was out and it died 3 times in one day. i had replaced the alternator cuz that went but as of this point I'm just taking it back and other suggestions anyone has would be helpful.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 07, 06:15 PM
Banned
Ron

HEY BEAVIS, WHERE'S BUTTHEAD??.....Sorry, just had to say this!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 07, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

hes eating nachos dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode