My distributor (it sounds like it comes from the distributor) is making a constant low clicking noise. Also in the morning when i start up my car, if i give it any gas it either cuts off or revs up....and in the process of reving up i hear a loud pop of some sort under the hood. I drive a 78 camaro, new 350 crate engine and such. Sometime in the recent past i had my carb rebuilt because some sort of internal combustion was happenin inside my carb and the whole inside was burnt up....float and all??? thanks for the help.
Let's narrow your problem down a bit.
1) What type and size carb are you running?
2) Does the engine idle smoothly or does it vary/surge at idle?
3) Could the loud pop be the carb backfiring?
4) Is the motor running any hotter than before this problem started?
5) What type of distributor; points or HEI?
6) How many miles do you have on this motor?
7) How was the car running prior to the carb rebuild?
8) Have you checked the timing?
9) Could the clicking noise be caused by plug wire crossfire or a small crack in the distributor cap? How long has it been since you replaced the wires, cap and rotor?
Like Dawgs said, it could be a broken spring attached to the weights in the distributor. Your discription obviously leads to either carb trouble (still) or some type of ignition issue. If you have a friend with some extra parts, try another carb and/or distributor. That would be the easiest way to find the trouble. If the car was running well before the carb rebuild and runs like crap after, the problem may still be related to the carb. Then again, ignition problems could have led to your carb problems in the first place. If the timing is off, it could cause a backfire in the carb.
Confused?????? It's a simple process of elimination.