Problems...yet again - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kyle

Send a message via AIM to MrCow350
Problems...yet again

My distributor (it sounds like it comes from the distributor) is making a constant low clicking noise. Also in the morning when i start up my car, if i give it any gas it either cuts off or revs up....and in the process of reving up i hear a loud pop of some sort under the hood. I drive a 78 camaro, new 350 crate engine and such. Sometime in the recent past i had my carb rebuilt because some sort of internal combustion was happenin inside my carb and the whole inside was burnt up....float and all??? thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: Problems...yet again

sounds like a broken spring on the weights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
Russell

Send a message via AIM to capt68 Send a message via Yahoo to capt68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCow350 View Post
My distributor (it sounds like it comes from the distributor) is making a constant low clicking noise. Also in the morning when i start up my car, if i give it any gas it either cuts off or revs up....and in the process of reving up i hear a loud pop of some sort under the hood. I drive a 78 camaro, new 350 crate engine and such. Sometime in the recent past i had my carb rebuilt because some sort of internal combustion was happenin inside my carb and the whole inside was burnt up....float and all??? thanks for the help.
Let's narrow your problem down a bit.
1) What type and size carb are you running?
2) Does the engine idle smoothly or does it vary/surge at idle?
3) Could the loud pop be the carb backfiring?
4) Is the motor running any hotter than before this problem started?
5) What type of distributor; points or HEI?
6) How many miles do you have on this motor?
7) How was the car running prior to the carb rebuild?
8) Have you checked the timing?
9) Could the clicking noise be caused by plug wire crossfire or a small crack in the distributor cap? How long has it been since you replaced the wires, cap and rotor?

Like Dawgs said, it could be a broken spring attached to the weights in the distributor. Your discription obviously leads to either carb trouble (still) or some type of ignition issue. If you have a friend with some extra parts, try another carb and/or distributor. That would be the easiest way to find the trouble. If the car was running well before the carb rebuild and runs like crap after, the problem may still be related to the carb. Then again, ignition problems could have led to your carb problems in the first place. If the timing is off, it could cause a backfire in the carb.

Confused?????? It's a simple process of elimination.

Russell

Russell

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kyle

I think my carb is a rochester, and it's a 2 barrel. It idle's fine to me. No probs. The pop sounds like it comes from at the carb or distributor, i will look into that. It's a new 350 and has less than 2500 miles. Car was still running ****ty before the rebuild, i got the carb like a year ago brand new. I dont know how to check timing and the wires are new.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
mike

maybe its got a chocolate cam...improper breakin procedures can cause a wiped cam lobe that will really show up on a cold engine...does the car have a skip???maybe not as smooth as it should be???even if smooth, the lobe could be drastically smaller than the rest...just throwin it out there...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech

If the distributor cap is not on straight it will make a ticking sound. I've seen it happen on 1st gen Camaros with a big-body HEI distributor. The cap get's smashed against the firewall and doesn't set on straight. If you look at the inside of the cap, you may see a grove carved out where the rotor tab mills away the inside of the cap if that is the issue.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
mike

the burnt up carb is whats makin me think of a bad exhaust lobe on the cam...the first post said the whole carb was burnt up inside...something about loud popping when u revv it up...did the motor run good and th n just start this problem???
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
george

Noise under the cap?A bad plug wire will cause spark scatter and sound like a snapping type noise under the cap.The spark may be carbon tracking to another cyl and causing the backfire under the carb.Lift the cap and look for what looks like a #2 lead pencil line tracking away from a terminal.Hope this helps you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Kyle

I will put all this to use, i know nothing about cars but i will getit checked out, thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode