Rotating noise in front right wheel - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
chucky

Rotating noise in front right wheel

A noise comes from my front right wheel when im at a certen speed. As i take off i dont hear it but when i get to about 30 mph it comes. Its not a constent noise its like a rotating noise. almost like a rock in a tin can. If u know what this might be please let me know. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 08:26 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Rotating noise in front right wheel

We're going to need some details... what kind of car? disc brakes? drum brakes? wheel type? hub caps? etc.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 08:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'd for sure pull the hubs off and check the bearings.
I'd do it right away, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Yeah, as stated, check bearings. Better yet, just put a floor jack under the lower a-arm and jack up that wheel, then rotate by hand and listen. Check runout too, does it appear to be wobbling? Check tire for foreign objects, like piece of metal or bolt/nail. I would definitely pull the wheel and look at spindle/bearings/races etc. It's real easy to take wheel off.

If mechanicals all look good and there's no object in tire, then look at the tire itself. Is it perfectly normal-appearing, or is it scalloped or badly worn? I have seen worn tires cause noises that I SWORE were mechanical problems. I (and other mechanics) have been totally surprised by the noises that come from bad tires, so keep that in mind as you search for the problem.........

Let us know what it is please. Should be fairly easy to find/fix. But may be dangerous, so check it out ASAP!

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
We're going to need some details... what kind of car? disc brakes? drum brakes? wheel type? hub caps? etc.
I have a 95 camaro. The front end has disc brakes. Not shore about the wheel type. No hub caps.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I'd for sure pull the hubs off and check the bearings.
I'd do it right away, too.
Thank you
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
Yeah, as stated, check bearings. Better yet, just put a floor jack under the lower a-arm and jack up that wheel, then rotate by hand and listen. Check runout too, does it appear to be wobbling? Check tire for foreign objects, like piece of metal or bolt/nail. I would definitely pull the wheel and look at spindle/bearings/races etc. It's real easy to take wheel off.

If mechanicals all look good and there's no object in tire, then look at the tire itself. Is it perfectly normal-appearing, or is it scalloped or badly worn? I have seen worn tires cause noises that I SWORE were mechanical problems. I (and other mechanics) have been totally surprised by the noises that come from bad tires, so keep that in mind as you search for the problem.........

Let us know what it is please. Should be fairly easy to find/fix. But may be dangerous, so check it out ASAP!

-
Thank You very much. I will do that first thing tomorrow. I will let u know asap. Thanks again.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 09:50 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

I think I read on another post you just did a brake job. Check the bearings. Make sure there properly greased and adjusted.
Did you use disc brake anti-squeel?

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Brake job, ahhh. Then be sure and check the debris shields. Very easy to bend one and have it rubbing against the rotor, or pads may not be seated correctly.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
mike

i`d bet you bent the dust shield into the rotor, or possibly rust chunks on the tone ring for abs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode