did '67 Camaros ever have 283 engine? - Team Camaro Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

did '67 Camaros ever have 283 engine?

on another thread, a member states he wants to replace the 283 that came with his '67 Camaro. Am I losing my mind? did the '67 ever come with a 283? I don't know squat about the technical aspects of motors, but it's my understanding chevy decided to go with the 302 in the Z-28 and not the 283?? You would think a guy with 2 Camaros would know better!! obviously, I should look it up instead of getting ridiculed here.. but I deserve it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: did '67 Camaros ever have 283 engine?

No, not from the factory.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

The base V8 in '67 was the 327.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

good, I'm not going crazy. nice to know.

|
|
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech

Then what are these engine codes ??
MD 67 283 Camaro 195 Base 4-spd 2-Brl Hyd Cam
MJ = 67 283 Camaro 195 Base Power glide 2-Brl
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

mike: I have no idea... maybe those are codes that were created but the engines were never actually used. I've seen that before in books. They will list certain codes then where it says how many cars came with that code it says: 0
interesting ....

|
|
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

There were 193 export cars built with the L32 283/195 engine. 72 manual transmission cars and 121 automatic transmission cars.

I'm not positive on this, but I think we might have one in the database. Kurt?

Ed

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

thanks Ed. guess that settles that. so the guy on the other thread (can't remember his name) may have one of these cars?

|
|
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Slim, but you never know. Do you know the thread? I don't remember seeing something like that, but then again, I don't read every thread!

Ed

CRG -
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

it was not production so this is more of a trivia answer, but the prototype 1967 Z/28 was first built with a 283 because the Trans Am limit was 305. They later got the approval to build the special 302 engine.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Ed: it's the HELP ME CHOOSE MY ENGINE thread. the guy is wanting to swap out his 283. that's what got me curious about the 283.

|
|
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Is THIS the thread (by madsen55)? If so, his/her signature says "Robin 1967 Camaro Coupe", but HIS/HER CAR is actually a 68, so no, it would not have come with a 283.

(I say "HIS/HER" since Robin can be either a male or female name.)

Ed

CRG -
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 08, 04:01 PM
DL
Senior Tech
David

Yes Camaro's came with the 283 engine, but these were for export models only (please correct me if wrong Kurt).

My 1967 Camaro should also have the 283 with powerglide as it has the MJ code and it was assembled in Switzerland. All the Belgian (Antwerp) Camaro's I know of also have the 283 engine.

David
'67 Camaro crossram
'67 Camaro convertible SS/RS clone project
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 08, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Ed: yes, that's the correct thread.

|
|
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 08, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

The 283's were only used in foreign-built Camaros and only in one plant, Switzerland. This was due to tax rules.

Antwerp used 327's and L6's.

Kurt S.
CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode