Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 Z28 ?

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  phk36 
#1 ·
Hi all I know this is old but I went too look at a 69 Z28 a few days ago. I took down the info here and was unable to find the stamping on the block . The engine was rebuilt and block painted orange. I did see numbers on thr block on the passanger side and it looked like 68 and a letter. It was dark and hard to see even with a light . The owner said that the title had a Z on it , I did not see the titleyet . Can any of you tell me if your title has a Z any where on it ? This car does not have an X33 or X77 on the cowl tag (which was not on the car) and I know early Z28 do not have them . Thanks, Pete

#5 ·
Re: 1969 Z28, not sure??

Thanks every one , I know this is very old. One question I asked was finding the DZ on the block. I did see some numbers on the passanger side of the block by the freeze out plugs . Does a DZ block have any casting numbers on the side of the block ? Does any one know of a person to look over the car and tell me if it is a real Z28 ? Thanks, Pete

#11 ·
Pete, you need to clean off the engine pad using thinner or some other paint removal product (DON'T use a screwdriver or anything else that would scratch up the pad), and post a picture.

If the block's been decked, you may still get lucky and find a light stamping of the suffix. You should also post a picture of the other numbers you found. And a picture of the trim tag too, even though it's not attached to the car. Does it have a 12 bolt rear axle? If so, get pictures of the numbers of that too. What about the transmission? Numbers, numbers, numbers!!!

But two things that are wrong for a Z28 is the lack of rear bumper guards and the lack of a power brake booster. Of course, the rear bumper could have been replaced and the booster removed, but the numbers won't lie.

Ed

#12 ·
The crossram is cool.

The car doesn't appear have a brake booster. I believe RPO J52 (power front disc brakes) was mandatory on 69 Z28s. Wrong rear bumperettes for a Z28.

I would be very surprised if it's a real Z.

#14 ·
Things I think I see: Alternator's not deep groove, so it's not original for a Z; Also the mounting isn't using the 69 bracket. (maybe because of the 2 x 4 manifold?) It does look like a deep groove pulley on the water pump, however. Fan is not original either. If it's a Z, a lot of it's originality has been changed. I'd be very skeptical.

#16 ·
Need the numbers, as others have already said. A lot of things can change in over 40 years of varying ownership, and that car is nowhere near stock, especially under the hood; don't assume anything based on small components and trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.