Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
GCS
Tech Team
Greg

Garage
Protecto Plate

On Protecto Plate transmission code reads P9T04A, which with vin matches trans in my car. When running this code on internet search engine I am seeing multiple transmissions with the same code. I take it that code is not unique to only my car? But with partial vin. its then number matching to my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: Protecto Plate

P9 - Muncie 69 model year
T04- Dec 4th
A - M20

Partial VIN should be something like 19Nxxxxx. If dates and VIN match then itís a born with trans.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1967 R/T
1977 Power Wagon
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 03:12 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
If dates and VIN match then itís a born with trans.
Unless it's been restamped. Not trying to be a spoil-sport here, but it happens. Got any pictures of the stampings?

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
GCS
Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Have picture but see no way to post it. Also from what I understand on previous post any cay from 69 in same time frame could have same P9T04A number but in combo with correct vin makes it original to car.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Any M20 built that day would have the P9T04A assembly code stamped in it. The partial VIN would have been stamped when it was mated to it's engine and they both would have gotten the partial VIN stamped at the same time.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 08:27 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Protecto Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Have picture but see no way to post it. Also from what I understand on previous post any cay from 69 in same time frame could have same P9T04A number but in combo with correct vin makes it original to car.
As a non supporting member you have to use a third party photo sharing site or use your free photo storage in your Google or Amazon Prime accounts and make that folder and contents public, then use image tags in your post to insert the photo. Or the easiest option is to become a supporting member here and then be able to upload direct to our site.

As to the code - Yes since it is only a year, date, option stamp every M20 transmission made on Dec 4th 1969 will match in any car line across the wide GM spectrum. The partial vin makes the whole code unique to your vehicle.

If you get an exact match on-line that is not about your car, and the vin stamp is not a restamp it may mean that at one time your transmission was separated from your Camaro, and then used and therefore in that post associated with another vehicle, but sometime after the transmission was reunited.

Lots of folks swapped engines and transmissions between Chevelles, Nova's and Camaros over the 50 years. The key in the situation above is that the transmission you currently have wasn't restamped to match your ride.

Lets assume it is unique to yours, most of the time they are unless it is a high-end option desirable Z28.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
GCS
Tech Team
Greg

Garage

I do believe I did it. Trans code uploaded

Last edited by GCS; Jun 13th, 19 at 09:10 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 06:08 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Congratulations, just remember the limited space you have here for photos, mainly for your profile photo or garage.

Based ont he photo uploaded, Stamp looks legit to me.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 19, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
GCS
Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Found out the hard way. Just downloaded a picture of car on what is it worth and people responding said photo was size of postage stamp. Hard to tell what condition it was in. All the download I had left after tranny code. Dropped another message trying to describe car a little better. I'll have to look at joining as I'm going to have a lot of questions this fall. Planning to pull motor to see what I bought and condition of innards. Site like this is great help for information. Feedback is fast and good. Thanks Guys for help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode