Team Camaro Tech banner

69 DZ Stamp and other stamp vertically adjacent

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jonesy 
#1 ·
Bought this block last night, and after closer look there appears to be a HJ faintly running vertical to the DZ suffix (circled in red). Any ideas..?? Pretty sure its a legit DZ.
Still has the 1178 crank (w/HB) and cam installed. No rods or pistons.

TIA
Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I know a lot of guys that will add their last 4 ssn to various parts on their Harley's for theft reasons. Maybe a previous owner tapped those in for that reason. I would have put them elsewhere, but who knows.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies gents. After a closer look at this block, it appears someone did replace the timing cover with a chrome part, and looks like hydraulic lifters may be in place. So the "never been into" comment I made is out the window.

Now another question for the stampologists, is the casting date a I278, or I279? My eyes go back and forth, and the assembly stamp is I002DZ. Could go eiher way being Oct 69 was a valid date for the 69 model year.

Attachments

#8 ·
1968 I278 so its an Oct 1968 block. Looks like the partial VIN is 19N516913.

#17 ·
Sorry for the confusion I is September for a Sept 27 1968 casting, built on Oct 2, 1968.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.