Team Camaro Tech banner

Was the RS option available on 6 Cyl Camaros in 67'?

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Vega$69 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to decode my car, the VIN clearly shows it to be a V6 123377L128974 and the trim tag seems to show the "3DL" option. I believe you could order RS with anything, but there's no trace of the package anywhere on this car that I can tell. Something fishy here?

Any info would be appreciated!

Edit: Welp, guess I can't post images!

See less See more
#3 ·
There was no V6 in '67 it was an I6 (inline 6) but yes any Camaro in '67 could have come with the RS option. Your tag photos are broken but go here to validate ...
Ah, sorry I6. Thank you for the info Dennis. My dad loved those, always said they were "bulletproof"!

Decoding seems to indicate Tinted, Console, I6, PG, Turquoise All, Black Buckets, and RS. Weird combo!

#6 ·
So the back- up lights are in the main tail light housings. Yep, things do seem kinda fishy here.

Would like to see the cowl tag. I think you need at least 10 (?) posts before you have photo posting privileges. What's the build date code in the upper left corner of the cowl tag ?

#15 ·
Ah! Just checking this link out now thank you Kurt. Not sure how I missed this before but yes, the front valance has 2 big square holes on either side. So, one more tick in the RS column and the plot thickens! I also found the extra tabs on the front fenders for the RS headlight assemblies.

The trunk was bondoed and spray bombed so I have no hope right now of seeing if the wiring holes are there right now. The "pan" behind the rear valance has the correct round stamped holes on either side for behind where the backup lights would have been, but I'm not sure if all cars would have those.

The rockers have bondo skimmed right over where the trim holes would have been. Holy hell there's a lot more bondo here than I thought. Kill me... The guy I bought it from obviously cobbled together what he could and spraybombed everything to cover up what he couldn't, and I was the sucker who paid too much. Oh well. I think the silver lining here is that it probably was an RS car (even if it was an I6) so maybe in fixing everything right, I'll put it back closer to original.

#13 ·
Couple other places to look for signs of being an RS: do both front fenders have holes drilled in the for the RS emblems. The holes in the door for the chrome pieces I mentioned earlier, horn button should have "RS" on it same as the gas cap. Should also be chrome/SS trim around the wheel wells.

Dang, all good questions! Yes, the front parking lights are next to the headlights. Honestly the grille and front trim pieces look pretty new to me. There are no rocker trim pieces but there is wheel well trim. As best I can tell from checking on the inside of the fenders and outside for any signs of patching... nope, don't see any possible holes for emblems. Steering wheel is standard deluxe 3-spoke with the "Camaro" button and someone slapped an SS gas cap on it (doesn't even fit right), so no help there.

Rear wiring harness is sort of strange? There's only one pigtail and bulb on each side when the tail housings have 2 sockets each. There's also 2 wires going through a hole in front of the filler neck (guessing sending unit), behind the license plate light. No other splits, nothing hanging. No holes through that I could see if there ever was other wiring.

Not sure what to look for on the firewall or inner fenders.

And climbing all over and under the car looking at these things has me noticing more rusty parts and blemishes. Ugh! So disappointing.

#12 ·
Couple other places to look for signs of being an RS: do both front fenders have holes drilled in the for the RS emblems. The holes in the door for the chrome pieces I mentioned earlier, horn button should have "RS" on it same as the gas cap. Should also be chrome/SS trim around the wheel wells.

#22 ·
Can't believe it took this long for it to be called out. So the answer is no, the RS option was not available on a V6 Camaro. 😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.