Dash Vin vs. Cowl grill partial - Page 3 - Team Camaro Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
James

Re: Dash Vin vs. Cowl grill partial

I would still try and get something from the dealer for diminished value due to replacement VIN and original 6 cylinder car. You might not mind so much now, but you will when you try and sell it.

This it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 04:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The BIG question here is "Why does the CHP have any interest in this particular car?"

The DMV will flag a car for VIN discrepancy. I've not heard of the CHP flagging unless it's part of an ongoing investigation.
OP. We are all curious as to why the CHP got involved to begin with. Can you elaborate???

1967 Camaro
383 stroker
Automatic
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yes this is the car. From what I got out of the CHP officer. He told me that he was driving by one day. Not sure if on the street or in their lot or what. He said he noted the vin and the partial vin and that they were different and at that point he placed the hold. Not sure why he didn't confront the dealer. Thats it.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

If this is the car..

https://www.vintagecarcollector.com/...evrolet-camaro

OP paid upper tier $ considering this is not a original "SS"

Looks to be a decent restoration from pics although pics can be deceiving. Paperwork says there was no salvage title....but OP notes cowl VIN and dash VIN don't match. IDK if that is the partial VIN stamped in Sheetmetal under the wiper cowl or the firewall tag. The firewall tag shows a V8 car. Paperwork shows 307 CI motor. It's a 10 bolt rear end. I believe OP said it was verified by CHP as a 6 cyl??. Would have to see if the dash VIN shows a 3 (6 cyl) as the third # vs 4 (V8). The partial VIN stamped into cowl under wiper panel would start with a 9(model year)N(Norwood build)542215(build sequence) which should match the dash VIN, as shown in the paperwork as, 124379N542215

Maybe it was a re-body..or "donor" tag car

If this becomes a CA re-VIN and or salvage title car, IMHO, I would be looking for some $ back from seller, assuming $35k is what was paid, as its value has been compromised

...and a CHP just happened to be driving by and decided to check VIN on this particular car??? I believe there is something missing from that story. Maybe someone else who saw the car spotted the discrepancy and alerted CHP, IDK. I would doubt the CHP just did this as a random check out of the blue.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Yes Houston, we have a problem. 124379N542215 was assembled the third week of November, 1968, but the trim tag shows a date of 09C, or the third week of September, 1969! Something is definitely amiss here.

That's an original factory trim tag that's never been off the car, so either the VIN has been replaced or the firewall (or the body itself).

To the OP (Pat?), what does the partial VIN show under the cowl?

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

The CHP officer that placed the car on hold is a CHP Vin officer so this is what he does every day. I do not think it is uncommon for him to do what he did being that this is his job. What is frustrating is that he did not do more like confront the owners and stop them from being able to sell to me. Partial vin at cowl under grill is 9N683934 so I am assuming if it is a 6 cylinder the original vin is 123379N693934. I also did not pay $35,500 for it. I got it for around $8,000 less than what he was asking. It is a pretty good restoration. No rust, clean, well put together, drives nice.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Well, even that VIN doesn't fit the date on the trim tag. 9N693934 was assemble the 5th week of September, 1969. Are You sure the partial isn't 9N683934? That would be a perfect fit.

Ed

CRG -
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

My bad, yes it is 9N683934.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 11:11 AM
John

Garage

The partial VIN will not show whether or not it was a 6 or 8 cyl car. The cowl tag will not show 6 or 8 cyl car. Only the VIN shows 12437 or 12337.

The paperwork on the dealers site show it as a 12437 VIN so donít know why the CHP would think it was a 6 cyl car unless he ran the hidden VIN and it traced back to a 12337 car.

Appears to me the Title and VIN tag from another car were swapped to this car.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
The partial VIN will not show whether or not it was a 6 or 8 cyl car. The cowl tag will not show 6 or 8 cyl car. Only the VIN shows 12437 or 12337.

The paperwork on the dealers site show it as a 12437 VIN so donít know why the CHP would think it was a 6 cyl car unless he ran the hidden VIN and it traced back to a 12337 car.

Appears to me the Title and VIN tag from another car were swapped to this car.

Agreed, but the VIN on the paperwork isn't for THIS car, so it could have originally been a 6 cylinder car OR a V8. The CHP has access to the NICB database, so they would probably know.

In this case, the car's actual VIN was 123379N683934 (or possibly 124379N683934 if the CHP is incorrect).

Fix the title and get a new state issued VIN (unless they find it's stolen) and you're all set. Yes, the car will always have a stigma, but at least the paperwork will now be fixed.

Ed
Vega$69 and Pats69SSClone like this.

CRG -
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

One last thing Pat. If the car REALLY has a 307 in it as the paperwork shows (and not a 327 as indicated on the fender emblems), check the front pad of the engine for the suffix code and partial VIN. You never know. If "may" be the original engine from 9N683934!!

Ed

CRG -
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Unfortunately it is not a 307. I checked the motor numbers and it comes back a 305 from a 1977 Camaro. I think whoever built this car just put 327 badging on it.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Unfortunately it is not a 307. I checked the motor numbers and it comes back a 305 from a 1977 Camaro. I think whoever built this car just put 327 badging on it.
Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Enjoy your new car anyway! It looks like a nice build.

Ed
Vega$69 and Pats69SSClone like this.

CRG -
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 05:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
If this is the car..

https://www.vintagecarcollector.com/...evrolet-camaro

OP paid upper tier $ considering this is not a original "SS"

Looks to be a decent restoration from pics although pics can be deceiving. Paperwork says there was no salvage title....but OP notes cowl VIN and dash VIN don't match. IDK if that is the partial VIN stamped in Sheetmetal under the wiper cowl or the firewall tag. The firewall tag shows a V8 car. Paperwork shows 307 CI motor. It's a 10 bolt rear end. I believe OP said it was verified by CHP as a 6 cyl??. Would have to see if the dash VIN shows a 3 (6 cyl) as the third # vs 4 (V8). The partial VIN stamped into cowl under wiper panel would start with a 9(model year)N(Norwood build)542215(build sequence) which should match the dash VIN, as shown in the paperwork as, 124379N542215

Maybe it was a re-body..or "donor" tag car

If this becomes a CA re-VIN and or salvage title car, IMHO, I would be looking for some $ back from seller, assuming $35k is what was paid, as its value has been compromised

...and a CHP just happened to be driving by and decided to check VIN on this particular car??? I believe there is something missing from that story. Maybe someone else who saw the car spotted the discrepancy and alerted CHP, IDK. I would doubt the CHP just did this as a random check out of the blue.
All 69 trim tags have 12437 no mater the engine.

I believe that the CHP ran the VIN both ways. six cylinder and V8 sequences and only the six cylinder showed up. The final 6 digits are only used once so that would be this car. I think the OP may share this same opinion.

Jeff
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
James

The whole CHP randomly stopped by story is suspect. I don't mean the OP's story, I mean the one CHP told him. On this dealers FB page they mentioned they had a car stolen off their lot. Perhaps detectives where there for that and started checking everything out.

Last edited by 68 Ragtop; Feb 14th, 20 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode