Dash Vin vs. Cowl grill partial - Team Camaro Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Dash Vin vs. Cowl grill partial

All,

So I have not been able to register my 69 here in CA yet because a CHP Vin officer has a hold on my car. Apparently he saw this car at the place I bought it and put a hold on it. I went to the DMV to register it and they told me that the CHP has the hold on it. I talked to the officer and apparently the dash vin does not match the cowl grill partial vin that is on the passenger side below the grill. Over the weekend I verified this to be true. Look my car is a replica SS anyways and is a base model car so the fact that someone switched out the dash vin at some point sucks big time but what are you gonna do. My problem is I have to take the car to the CHP for an inspection where I will have to surrender the dash vin and they will re-register it as whatever the partial vin says the car is. My question is where can I get the actual vin replaced on the dash? Is there any specialty companies or guys in southern California I can talk to that can replace the dash vin with the actual vin that the CHP is going to issue me?

Thanks guys,

Frustrated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 12:17 PM
John

Garage
Re: Dash Vin vs. Cowl grill partial

If the hidden VIN does not match the Dash VIN tag it is possible the car was stolen and the VIN Tag swapped. Not good.

There is NO WAY to replace the VIN tag.

You're stuck with a State Issued VIN or worse if the hidden shows as a stolen car the car may be confiscated.

Where did you buy this car? That's who I'd be calling NOW.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I was wondering that myself hoping that it was not stolen. I have been in contact with the officer and he has told me that he does not think it was stolen so I am keeping my hopes up. I have an appointment with him this Saturday. Im hoping that the CHP can issue the vin that matches the partial vin that is under the cowl grill which would be ideal. I am already in contact with the company I bought it from just in case it was stolen. In a perfect scenario it was not stolen, he issues me the original vin from the body and I can replace the vin at the dash. We will see.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

The "place where you bought it from" is where the car should go for a full refund and make it there problem. Good luck with that mess!

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 12:52 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats69SSClone View Post
he issues me the original vin from the body and I can replace the vin at the dash. We will see.
The State Issued VIN is a Sticker. It is not a replacement for the original metal VIN Plate.

Odd to me is that the CHP "saw" the car at the place where you bought it, investigated it and put a hold on it unless they has some probable cause.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Cop that finds a stolen car (confirmed with NCIS computer data base) is required to impound the car on the spot. If he doesn't then he is committing malfeasance, misfeasance of his office and can be fired. So long as the car shows as being stolen he is absolved of any liability for his impounding the car. He has to call the wrecker for the impound and initiate a report of what he does as his office has a record of the hit and his office will remove the car from the national data base as being recovered. If the car is recovered in a different state than where the car was reported as being stolen then the FBI is also notified of the car's recovery and the FBI will want a copy of his report.

As John stated above the state may issue a new VIN for the car along with a Salvage title if it doesn't go back to the reported owner for some reason; such as the car isn't stolen. The state will never reuse the original VIN applied to the vehicle at the factory as that is in violation of federal law.

Big Dave
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

My question is what's the dash VIN and what's the cowl VIN? What does the title show as the VIN? (I would also check the hidden VIN under the heater blower motor to see if it matches either of those two.)

And if the CHP officer "put a hold" on the car, how did you get it??? I would be asking this question to the dealer that sold you the car!

Ed
rgwiz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech

OP

If I follow you correctly the CHP put a "hold" on the car while it was at the dealer/consigner who was selling it. right?

He did this because he saw a conflict it what the dash VIN showed vs the VIN stamped under the PS cowl panel. right?

If yes to the above than whoever sold you the car is liable unless you signed some form of waiver if such a thing exists.

Has the CHP told you why they went to the place of sale to determine what the car was? (read what tipped them off)

If this car is proven stolen you are SOL

It may be a re-body, salvage or something. Does the current title specify any of this?

A state issued VIN will not match whatever original VIN is. IDK how one of those would be attached to a vehicle

FWIW I bought a 67 from out of state and had to get the car VIN verified. I took it to DMV and all went well. The DMV guy said if the rivets holding on my VIN were not "rosette" than a 2nd VIN# would have to be located & verified. I can partially see the other VIN on my through the cowl slits but will take a pic tomorrow when they pull my windshield to replace it since the cowl panel needs to come off to replace windshield

I hope this works out for you. You absolutely need to verify this stuff before ever buying any car. I was at a large consignment place in Pleasanton, CA to look at a "#'s matching 67 SS/RS 4 speed car". The first major concern was the shiny new "metal" VIN plate on the DS door post (67 has VIN there). It was not secured with rosette rivets nor did it look like a real VIN plate (raised line along long edge). The consigner back peddled big time but stuck to the "consigner provides the vehicle information"....I advised him he was attempting to sell a vehicle with altered VIN which from my lens is a crime (I am not a lawyer)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 03:46 PM
Tech Team
ken

return for full refund from seller now. even if it works out with the state and they issue a new vin the value of that car just dropped i would guess a minimum of 30% or more. dump it back on the seller and let them and the police deal with it. and let him take the hit on value later. if need be get a lawyer involved if the seller doesnt want to refund.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerken70 View Post
return for full refund from seller now. even if it works out with the state and they issue a new vin the value of that car just dropped i would guess a minimum of 30% or more. dump it back on the seller and let them and the police deal with it. and let him take the hit on value later. if need be get a lawyer involved if the seller doesnt want to refund.
I agree. It seems as though you were possibly mislead at purchase. Let the dealer take the hit and find another Camaro. This hobby isn't cheap and I would have a hard time investing more money into a questionable car for changes/repairs/upgrades that will be worth considerably less than other similar cars due to the vin issues. Hate to say it, but it puts a dark cloud over it forever if indeed there are actual issues and from what I am reading, there is.

J.R.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 03:26 AM
John

Garage

You said you bought this car in November from a private collector that had it in his warehouse. So this is not a dealer? And he sold the car because he was freeing up space in his warehouse.

Now you find the CHP has a hold on the title/registration for VIN issues.

Iím wondering what prompted the CHP to go to the sellers private warehouse to investigate?

As mentioned above having a state issued VIN puts a cloud on the title and diminishes value considerably.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

https://vintagecarlaw.com/index.html

I would have no problem if you were to share which fine establishment you dealt with.

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 07:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

Because of that tag you are going to get the car will be harder to sell in the future and will sell for less money. I would return it to who you got it from as apparently he knew of the problem and didn't tell you about it. Or at worst get a few thousand back from the seller to cover what you will lose when selling it. Vintage car law listed above is a good way to go also.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech

Remember the 3rd digit could be a 3 for 6 cylinder or 4 for V8 .I would think with that not being able to be determined you would get a state issued VIN. Otherwise you could end up with 2 cars out there with same serial #
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
James

A bit of misinformation in this thread.
There is (was?) a guy out there making reproduction VIN tags. I think he spent time in prison. Even if you could get one, you couldn't use it now your car is flagged in the system.
If State of CA can figure out your true VIN, you can get a "Replacement Identification Number", same number as original but on a blue metal tag that is riveted on.
If State of CA can not confirm the original VIN, or it never had one (like a homebuilt or replica car), it will get an "Assigned Identification Number" that will start with CA.
Neither of those scenarios alone will result in a salvage title.
As others had said, this car has been seriously devalued because of this. Return it if possible.

clill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode