Team Camaro Tech banner

Some big block???

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Straight-line-69 
#1 ·
Well picked up the Car with the big block installed...car runs strong and pulls hard... Question is at idle hot in gear at around 700 rpm.. I have about 25 psi oil pressure as soon as the pedal is touched it shoots right up to 45 and at what I would guestimate at 2500 I'm at 60 psi... Is this good oil pressure?? What should a stock 454 pull hot at idle for pressure... Also the car started getting hot quick ..while cruising the back roads home the temp hung at 190 as soon as hit a light it went right up to 200.. Would a stock big block radiator work...to cool it down...

#3 ·
What kind of radiator, fan shroud, fan and thermostat are you running ?

#5 ·
Oil is fine.
General rule is 10psi per 1k rpm.
Temp is on the hot side, need a big block radiator, if mech fan, at least a 5 blade clutch type with a shroud that is the correct setup.
What temp thermostat do you have?
If it's one that doesn't open til' 205* or so, there's your problem.

#7 · (Edited)
Changing to a thermostat with a lower rating (from 185 to 160 as suggested above), won't reduce the coolant's operating temp if it's running at 200 degrees.

Yes, you need a BB radiator and I'd get a good direct-fit aluminum radiator from Griffin or somebody. A factory copper BB radiator was ok for factory 396's, but for a 454 with mods, it will not be up to the challenge,..trust me. Also, I'd get a good high-flow water pump from Stewart or somebody, and as stated above, the factory shroud, fan, and clutch will work great. I'd also spend a few extra dollars for a high-flow 180 degree thermostat. Also, run manifold vacuum (not ported) to your vacuum advance which will keep your timing up at idle and help keep her running cooler.

Regarding your oil pressure, 60 PSI at 2500 RPM is way is too high and is costing you some ponies. I'm guessing some genius has filled the crankcase with 50w or something. Switch to a good 10w-30 and your pressure should come down quite a bit. Pay attention to zinc levels if you'r runnng a flat-tappet.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.