Team Camaro Tech banner

Turn signal replacement on 69 Camaro...

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  yellow69RS 
#1 ·
Hey, I am getting ready to replace the turn signal switch on my 69 Camaro. I dont know if its good or bad but I know that it probably has not been replaced and the car sat for a long time.

Are their any special tools needed to replace the turn signal switch? My manual says "that using a compression tool compress the lock plate. With the plate compressed, pry out the snapring from its shaft groove and throw it away. "

Is their a way to get this switch replaced without using a compression tool? What else can be used to compress the plate effectively?

Just checking for helpful quick tips before I begin.

#2 ·
You can get the tool at the auto parts store.
Or make one like I did... I had a piece of 1/8" plate left over from something so I drilled a hole in the center that would fit over the steering shaft. I set a couple equal length sockets on the lock plate, put the plate I drilled the hole in on top of them and used the steering wheel nut to draw the plate down, compressing the lock plate so I could get the snap ring on and off. But that's with the steering wheel removed.

#3 ·
You will need some kind of ring to put the plate back on, I always reuse the original. Steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool , an ice pick, a phillips screw driver aand a couple o sockets will get the job done. Go to the auto parts store and rent/borrow the tools you don't have.

Jeff

#4 ·
If you have strong thumbs you don't need a tool. I just did mine last month w/o any special tools other than a puller to remove the steering wheel. I used the pointy end of my test light to get the lock ring out of the groove. Don't throw the lockring away unless you destroy it - it's reuseable.

I wouldn't replace the switch unless you're certain it's broken. It's not a fun job.

The part that fails most often is the cancel cam, which can be replaced w/o removing the switch. The turn signal lever attaches to the cancel cam, and frequntly breaks at the attachment point. It's about a $10 part and can be found at most auto parts stores in the "HELP" section.

#6 ·
Is your cancel cam broken? If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you get a positive click when you move the lever in either direction then it should be fine. If there's some slop in the lever it could just be that the screw holding the lever is loose. If that's the case, there is a slot in the cover plate that gives access to tighten the screw. You have to turn the wheel a bit to get the slot to line up with the screw.

#7 ·
How do I remove the plastic cam switch? I removed the flat springs on the right and got the cam over the retaining clips but it's not releasing from the pivot point where the turn signal lever screw hole is. I used light force to try and pull it out but didn't' have any luck.

#8 ·
Does anyone have an exploded picture of the steering wheel-lock-plate-cancel cam assembly that you can post here? The AIM does not have a good picture of the assembly with the sport steering wheel
Also, when re-assembling, does the snap ring go in the first groove on the column (closest to the driver), or the second groove (deeper into the column towards the firewall)?
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.