Rebuilding Front Suspension - Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Smile Rebuilding Front Suspension - Help!

Hi All,

I have the right side of my front suspension off and blasted. Getting ready to powder coat everything and buy all new bushings, etc.. a couple questions:

- Do I need or should I get the offseet upper control arm shaft?

- Moog or TRW are the best. COrrect? If not, what brand should I get?

- Springs. 250 Small Block, M21, Factory Air car. I know I'm different but I want the front a little higher than it is now. ANy suggestion? Not real high but higher than the worn springs I took off. What has everyone used?

- FInally: where to buy everything? Quality, brand name and does anyone have any discounts currently?

THanks!

Pastuki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Re: Rebuilding Front Suspension - Help!

No comments?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 01:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Moog/trw replacement parts are the industry standard.

You only need offset shafts if you have camber problems, either too many or not enough shims and trouble getting the correct alignment.

I would imagine standard replacement springs for a 6 w/AC will put it where it should be, but springs are really a crapshoot, you just never know til they are on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 05:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I bought my Moog parts from Summit. No tax if they ship out of state and only $8.95 handling no shipping.

Link for david Pozzi site. Scroll down to link for Moog spring chart.http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_sp...fo.htm#SPRINGS

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

You may want to buy from PST (performance suspension technologies) or PSC (performance suspension components) as they have complete kit prices etc.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok. I checked the 2 sites. Which would be better? I know one squeeks. Which one? Can it be avoided?

Thanks!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 07, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

I've had PST polygraphite bushings on the front of my 68 since '99. Haven't heard any squeaks, but not sure if I could hear them over the 2-chamber Noisemasters.

Looks like that PSC place just sells Energy Suspensions polyurethane bushing. Those will definately squeak.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 03:22 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I used all PST polygraphite bushings and replacement steering components (complete front end kit from PST) 10 years ago on my previous 69 coupe w/327 and absolutely loved it. No squeaks and handles A LOT better. Oh yea, I was very hapy with the KYB Gas-A Just shocks too. I plan on ordering the same components from PST for my current 69.

Chris

72 Camaro RS/SS, 383, Dart Heads

Last edited by Bucco47; Apr 10th, 07 at 03:40 PM. Reason: left something out
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 09:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Rebuilding Front Suspension - Help!

Another 6 cylinder car????

Welcome to the dark side.

I have Hotchkiss small block springs on the front & the car sits nice & low without any suspension travel issues. KYB shocks make for a fairly firm ride, but tolerable.

I opted for tubular control arms, but stock arms & shafts will do ya just fine unless as mentioned previously by JimM you have camber problems. Moog parts used elsewhere.

Paul

'69 Camaro, 250 inline 6, EFI Turbo rebuild is running!!
, CC5S TKO 500, and more.

V8 Camaros are like navels......Everybody has one.

The Toad. 1970 base Camaro (Navel), 350, turbo 700R4, 3.73 posi, Hotchkis TVS system,
Mrs. McGoo's & McGoo Jr.'s toy

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 07, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Oops! Should have read 350 small block but I'm acyually looking at a 6 cylinder right now to restore with a perfect body!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode